• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Take-over, strong season or something else?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I’m not as experienced with the behaviour subtleties of sows so could do with some help. When I went to tuck them in tonight, I found them both rumbling at each other. I know that can happen and is normal during seasons. but what’s odd is that Chanel allowed herself to be mounted and (gently) humped by Coco.

Coco did pee spray Chanel first before rumbling, chasing, mounting and humping her. In the two years they spent inside, I had never seen this. Chanel was always the one to chase and mount.

I believe Chanel is in season as she was flaring her...bottom end. I’m a bit baffled as Coco is usually as quiet as a church mouse. She will rumble strut when in season but is otherwise 🤫

I’ll see how they are over the coming days. Below are two videos for reference.

I’m not as experienced with the behaviour subtleties of sows so could do with some help. When I went to tuck them in tonight, I found them both rumbling at each other. I know that can happen and is normal during seasons. but what’s odd is that Chanel allowed herself to be mounted and (gently) humped by Coco.

Coco did pee spray Chanel first before rumbling, chasing, mounting and humping her. In the two years they spent inside, I had never seen this. Chanel was always the one to chase and mount.

I believe Chanel is in season as she was flaring her...bottom end. I’m a bit baffled as Coco is usually as quiet as a church mouse. She will rumble strut when in season but is otherwise 🤫

I’ll see how they are over the coming days. Below are two videos for reference.

It sounds like a slightly stronger season to me with just a mild complaint from the companion. In my experience sow companions (usually the one below in the hierarchy but it can also be the one above or the 'husboar' if the rank below is not available) are very tolerant when mounted by their sow companions at this stage when the urges are taking over but a sow is not yet ready to mate with a boar right at the end of the season.

Some hormonal ovarian cysts can come across as a strong non-stop season, which is very disruptive if it is going on for weeks.

Thank you for your reply Wiebke. I’ve never seen Coco have such a strong season before. I’ve got ovarian cysts in the back of my mind so will keep it in mind. I’ll be checking on them shortly.

If it is Ovarian Cysts her nipples may be elongated and some fur may be missing on her sides. Betsy had these typical signs as well as being a moody cow.

If it is Ovarian Cysts her nipples may be elongated and some fur may be missing on her sides. Betsy had these typical signs as well as being a moody cow.
I haven’t seen missing fur but will check for the elongated nipples. Thank you.

I haven’t seen missing fur but will check for the elongated nipples. Thank you.

In my own experience, it is only a minority of sows that show any other symptoms than behaviour changes. You will have to wait and see whether it is a one off, or whether there are more indications for cysts in the coming days and weeks.

Back