Teeth chattering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a quick question about teeth chattering.

My guinea pig Ludwig sometimes sits in his cage, on the top level just laying there, not facing anyone and just lazing down but he'll randomly make a teeth chattering noise.

There's no reason that I can see for him to do it. I'm not sure why he does it. It really is out of the blue.
He did it minutes ago and my other guinea pig is just resting on the bottom whilst I'm sitting on my laptop reading. So I see nothing that can cause for him to do it either.

Do guinea pigs just randomly make this noise sometimes or?

Pigalig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I see your confusion, teeth chattering is usually linked with squabbling, as a "hear how big and loud my teeth are" declaration. My two boys do it all the time.

However, when my pig had a digestive problem a while ago and had diarrhea, he used to do this teeth chattering fairly gently when he was toileting, along with chattering to himself, which i can only assume was because his tummy felt funny. It's the only time I've ever heard a pig do it on their own. I mean they chew on nothing a fair amount of the time as many animals do, but yours sounds a little more defined. If yours seems calm whilst doing it I would say it might just be a time passing activity...

Reaction score
I see your confusion, teeth chattering is usually linked with squabbling, as a "hear how big and loud my teeth are" declaration. My two boys do it all the time.

However, when my pig had a digestive problem a while ago and had diarrhea, he used to do this teeth chattering fairly gently when he was toileting, along with chattering to himself, which i can only assume was because his tummy felt funny. It's the only time I've ever heard a pig do it on their own. I mean they chew on nothing a fair amount of the time as many animals do, but yours sounds a little more defined. If yours seems calm whilst doing it I would say it might just be a time passing activity...
Funny you shouls say that, Herbert was wormed yesteray and he ws talking and chattering when having a poo and although I dont think he ate it he pulled it out his bottom........:)>>> Just gonna keep an eye have never ever heard him do it before

Pigalig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guinea pigs eat their own droppings in order to keep their gut levels right and to get more fibre into their body, so if that's the first time you've seen him do it, I wouldn't worry too much, he's probably just doing it because he's feeling a bit iffy from being wormed.
The fact that both my Dylan and Herbet have chattered with a dodgy tummy may pose an idea as to why Ludwig does too, but then again it may not be linked at all...

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm well as I said mine just seem to do it when they are sitting there doing nothing. They will just be lazing around. They aren't eating and they don't seem to be pooing when they do it too so I really don't know.

It could be some kind of thing he does to pass time? I'm really not sure.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea?
It really is out of the blue. He'll sit there for a while in one spot and then just suddenly start making noises with his teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.