• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Teeth Grinding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdfs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive asked this before but i still dont get it with the whole teeth grinding.. We have had hima few months now, hes 8 months, loves being held by us and being fed by us. But in his pen which is now on ground. When we walk up close to him and hes out he runs and hides behind his potty bin and I mean Grinds super loud, Its ridiculas, We cant figure out as to why he does this, When we try to reach in there he runs away and trys to get in his pipe and igloo. Once we get him out hes fine. I just dont get it, thought he would stop doing that by now, I dont know what else to do :(

He probably feels threatened because you are all so biig compared to him. He's still not completely settled, but if you give him time, he should realize that you are no threat and will no longer do the teeth chattering. By the way, does he have a friend? Guinea pigs need company and with a buddy he'll feel safer which will help ease him into his environment. If he doesn't have a friend, you may want to look into getting a friend for him.

no he doesnt have a friend at this point in time.... but thanks

I wish hed stop doing that, I dont know why he needs to feel threatened about us.

Hello again,

A friend might help this is true. However, some piggies never stop running and hiding. It's part of their nature to be honest. They're a prey animal and the animals they've evolved from were eaten by basically everything. Even if they enjoy the actual petting etc. once you've picked them up, they may never stop running away from you in the first place.

Think about cats. Some cats, no matter how well fed they are and well looked after, still go out and kill birds and mice etc. It's part of their nature and instincts. A piggy's natural instinct and only defence from predators is to run away.

I have had Freddie for 4 years and he is comfortable to the point of following us round when he is on the floor and he still does that when he isnt in the mood! Its nothing to worry about

well thats good to know I guess i just have shorter patience, Need to learn to have more lol Thanks

Sometimes I just worry about it thats all. I dont want to feel I'm doing something wrong

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't worry about it. I worry so much sometimes my wife thinks I'm crazy!

If you look how many questions I've posted in the last couple of months, you'll see worrying is perfectly normal and that's why this forum is so great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back