• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Teeth grinding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayleyh

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have noticed that my piggy has started grinding his teeth. He does it mostly when he is sat on my lap wrapped up in his piggy pouch. He seems quite relaxed, and doesn't seem angry or distressed, but I heard that teeth grinding can be a warning sign telling me to go away. Is this something to worry about - should I be prepared for a bite?

It depends on the piggie........
there could be many reasons
yes He could be saying......mummy i want to go pee / or go home
he could be talking to you too, i've had a piggie that didn't wheek so his language was different methods of toofie chattering :)
then if there's a vinegar type smell ..... from his breath he will need to see a vet cause it's a toofie problem.....
this is only from my experience with the piggies i've had
hope this helps :)

My very chattery pig is very into his human friends, and does this teeth chattering when hes content.

My piggy Fermi grinds her teeth when she's relaxed. I wish she wouldn't though, since I think it sounds horrible! Oh well, whatever makes her happy :)

Thanks everyone for these comments. I have never owned a piggy before so I really dont know much about their ways. I think my piggy has settled in very well and from everything I have learned so far from this fantastic and supportive forum I believe my piggy is a very happy one.
To HairlessWillow7 - what an amazing guinea pig you have - I never knew hairless piggies existed - he looks so interesting. How do you keep him warm?

'SHE' (apologies) is fab - I love her, and well done on taking such good care of her with her extra special needs.

It often means they want something to eat. As grazers, they have to eat nearly all the time. Mine won't sit on my lap for long without grinding their teeth, unless I give them a handful of hay or readigrass .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back