• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well my rubean will be off to the vets tormow

Before i tell you what is wrong with him i will tell you that feb last year he lost his 2 bottom teeth there grew back he then lost his 2 top teeth there grew back his bottom 2 teeth then fell out again and grew back again. it was a long 4/5months. his teeth have been fine since July untill well now

around about new years day i noticed rubean had lost some weight. I checked his teeth and there looked fine

I tried him with some veggies wouldnt eat. He did eat soem food in the cage tho. I brought him inside twice a day for a 4 days days to see if he will eat anything he eat a little veggie and dry food with out any problems. And i sow him eating in cage aswell.

Anyways i stopped bringing him inside for veggie as he would hardly touch it and was eating some out side with his brothers. I also checked his teeth everyday aswell

When i looked at him yestoday i noticed that his top 2 teeth have started to turn/curly inwoods a little bit and his chin was soaking wet i whipped his chin for him i put him back for his tea and he ate some.

The last time i looked at his teeth was sunday and there where fine then had he wasnt dribbling then so i have book him in the vets for tormorw. Its a new vet i am going to i have only been once before to get there nails cut.

My old vet told me my holly was dying and really ill back in march she is still alive and screams for her food each moring and night and has just turned 5 years old

if he has to have his teeth trimmed he wont need a GA will he? I'm guessing he will need to have this done?

And on another note rubeans brother who he lives with oscar lost one of his bottom teeth around new years day which dosent seem to be grewing back its hard to see if it has even started as when i do get his mouth open he puts his tounge over the gap so i cant see. But is eating is food fine with no problems and has even put some weight on snice loseing his tooth. oscer is not going to the vets as he is fine other then having a missing tooth

Hi,

Sorry to hear about his teeth problems. I'm no expert but one of my piggies (Toffee) had top teeth growing slanting backwards and a constant wet chin. We went to the vet and it was caused by her back teeth growing across her tongue to meet each other (which would have eventually trapped her tongue). She needed her back teeth chopped/filed ? back and her front ones done too. This was a couple of weeks ago and we go back next week for a checkup.

Maybe Rubeans front teeth problems are caused by a back teeth issue too ? Hopefully the vet will be able to sort this out for him. My Toffee didnt get a GA but I know a lot of vets would do it under a GA - just depends on your vet.

Good luck at the vets - hope it goes well

x

oh god I'm really sorry i read and then fled because my pigs had a massive scrap.

I have had a piggy with dental problems who underwent all his treatment under g/a, with the knowledge i have from this site now i would never let that happen again because after the second time i lost him and i was so traumatised.

Good luck at the vets, it sounds like Rubean has had a pretty horrible time.

x

ps sorry again :(

Hi there,

Where are you located? We can point you in the direction of a rodentologist who would know more about tooth problems as sometimes vets aren't aware that you can trim back teeth without a GA. I'd advise seeing the vet and if they advise GA then to seek a second opinion with a rodentologist. If your pig isn't eating properly you need to be thinking about syringe feeding him. Get some pellets (excel are good) and soak them in boiledthen cooled water until you can mush them up and then put them in a 1ml syringe and feed that way. Does he seem in pain?

www.guineapighelpline.com - Laura will have lots of advice about teeth problems if you'd like to get in touch with her.

Hope he's ok xx

I'm in huddersfield.

I'm using a new vet now and there have only cut thier nails so far. so we will see what there say. I dont wont rubean to have a GA none of my guinea pigs have had a GA before.

he dosent seem in pain and he is eating just not as much as he should be he wont eat. i feed his cage first then i feed the other cages so i can watch to see if he is eating and i have seen him eaying veg and dry food.

he is booked in for 10.15am

Where are you located? Someone might be able to recommend a rodentologist x

Good luck x

i have allready said huddersfield

Anyways he has been to the vets there have clipped his teeth back his his bottom and top ones. he is now back with his 3 borthers.

i have allso find out he is blind in one eye (which i thought he was) he has catarates in that eye

my rubean had to be put the sleep today he was very ill this morning the vet said he wouldnt make it through the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back