Teeth... Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what you all use to keep your piglets teeth trim, I'm terrified of mine having problems sometime. I've bought them wood, not interested. They obviously have hay, and they eat veg with long stalks like coriander & parsley etc. Will this help keep teeth trim? What about back teeth?

Only thing they seem to like chewing on is their toys... rolleyes

Any tips?

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Really? That'll get the back teeth? They have a hay manger maybe they don't get enough....

ClaireBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently bought my guys a salt lick and they chew it daily which helps their teeth a lot :) also the boredom breaker naturals carrot wood roll, they chew the log to death its brilliant and lasts ages (Ive had mine for about 3 months and its still going strong)

Reaction score
Our Bertie (rip) died after an issue with his teeth! So I'm keen to know any recommendations for my two boys

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
But these things will only grind the front teeth won't they? I thought the issues were with back teeth? Think I'll buy them a carrot boredom breaker this weekend ;)

Reaction score
They don't need gnaw sticks, salt licks, mineral blocks- flips is right, lots of hay! Long stranded stuff, and a variety. Some pet shop bags are short stranded soft stuff which is not as good for teeth. Unlimited hay. And piggies love to forage, so even if you have a hayrack they should have hay to burrow around in.

Unfortunately even with the correct diet, some piggies will still get dental issues, nobody really knows why some are affected later in life.

Sophie

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Their teeth have the same aspects as our teeth. The incisors are for gripping and nibbling bits off food and the molars are for grinding down the rest ready to swallow.

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm thinking if getting them a bigger cage I've seen this weekend so I can have a dedicated hay corner... What hay do you buy?

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No we won't chew on wood I buy for them, but we will chew the wood off my skirting board in bathroom / playroom I just noticed! Grrrr.....!

ClaireBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know they dont need a salt lick or the log but they enjoy it, and it looks good in the cage, the log has carroty treats hidden inside so that kept them busy for a while bowever I believe they've now given up the callenge has become to great for my silly boys. Or their noses are too big hehe. I only ever buy my guys hay cookies and burgess fresh herbage, is this not great for teeth then? I hated the long local hay it was awkward and messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.