Teeth trimmed not eating much :o(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Just realised Duke had a broken tooth on Monday night, it was a public holiday here on Tuesday (horse race - Melbourne Cup). So went today thinking he needed the front tooth trimmed as he'd broken it. Devasted to learn that my poor baby's back teeth were over lapping :(
I feel like a hopeless grandma slave that i didn't recognise the signs, i was convinced it was just the front tooth.
Now he's whimpering at me syringe feeding him and he's only interested in parsley leaves.
I've done a bit of critical care with pureed apple, which he fights against me. I'm leaving him for a couple of hours now and try again to syringe feed some baby pureed veggies. Also going to give mushed up pellets a go also.
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated, i feel so bad about this :'( :'(

michellemuffin

Reaction score
dont worry it happens to the best of us me included some thing we think is not as bad as it is, guinea pigs are so clever at hiding pain you are not to blame honestly, you need to make him comfortable wrap him in a towel and snuggle him under your chin until he is relaxed in your hands, then try syringeing the food, mine like critical care or baby organic food veggies of course although fruit goes down well as well, dont forget to add some probiotics if possible it helps the gut when they are not eating their normal food which includes this ( some do) do it slowly just pushing down gently, hopfully you will see him grinding his back teeth ( not always to begin with) but thats a good sign, keep going for about 6 syringe fulls then try some warmish water not too cold, to wash it down, clean him up and cuddle and snuggle again, so he knows food in syringes also means extra cuddles and wont be so against it, try again a few hours later, still offer him his usual food and some thing as a treat like cucumber melon etc they have plenty of fluid in them, good luck, I'm sure others will be on later to add their advice, :)

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dont beat yourself up, its all part of how we learn.
It happened to you, it happened to me and I'm sure others on this forum.
The most important thing is that Duke is going to be OK and you will recognise the signs next time.

He will bounce back, he just needs to get used to the fact that his teeth are shorter and take more of an interest in eating again.
Michelle has given fab advice. Try and get something inside him every 2 hours.

If the pureed veggies are not getting a reaction then maybe try something different. I used to try Bil with a slice of brown bread, or a bit of toast scraped with a teeny tiny bit of butter which he loved. Anything to get his appetite going again and I found it did the trick. He woofed his veggies after that

good luck

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Thanks heaps :)
Update: left him as i'd given him such a hard time with syringing. Tried the pureed veggies, YUK granny NO. Tried the mushed up pellets MMM? maybe. Then put him on couch for a little rest with a plate full of torn up spinach leaves, parsley, shredded apple, tiny pieces of canteloupe, went away and came back to SURPRISE i'm eating a little :-*
I'm so proud of him he's tried hard and i've just put him to bed, will check him throughout the night and take down more snacks.
Great advice from you both really really appreciate it :-* :-*
I'm an awful worry wort so do freak out when it's my only little man left, i do love him so much.

Duke sends a big :-* to all that have helped him :)

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ah

Sleep tight little man.
He sounds like a lucky little fella to be so loved and adored.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
great news we all worry about our babies you're no different from us all honestly, I just had dobby in for a cuddle first me then my daughter he relaxed and lay down wrapped in his blanket and ate grass with no other piggy to disturb him he looked so chilled and I got some great pics will show you later this week he is such a cutey and such a handsome little man with hugh eyes ahhhh
I am so pleased he started eating , just shows that you a little of what you fancy does you good ;D

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Update:
Well he's been up and down, but am trying to make him eat by himself but giving him syringe feeds, which he hates with a passion :(
Again this morning (OZ time) he looked interested but would not eat so spoke to our emergency hospital care and they said i could give him another dose of metacam this morning, only gave him one before that probably 12 hours before, because it's not a steriod base. Did that and he then seemed to try more to pick up the torn up lettuce, parlsey etc.....
Gosh this is so emotional, spent the night hopping up and ended up this morning feeling terrible.
So tonight i'm reasonably pleased i've syringe fed 3 doses of critical care with apple puree and he's been snacking on leafy stuffs plus tried to eat his corn on the cob, bless him :)

I'd like to thank all of you who have responded with suggestions and care for him, it's very reassuring. I know this is going to take some time, i'm just a bit too impatient i suppose and worry too much.

Take care everyone and their little munchkins :-* :-*

Mary

Reaction score
Bless you, you are doing a great job! I had trouble with one of my rescues that wouldnt eat. The one thing that ended up working for him was soaking his guinea pig food in cucumber ( that I had blended).

Mary

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Brilliant, he loooooves cucumber must do that :)

I've just popped him to bed, he's now trying to eat some more apple pieces and leafy stuff. Have changed his pellets again to keep them sweet smelling.
Am going to get up through the night again, thanks all.

Oh did anyone else have probs logging in earlier? Tried a couple of hours ago and the site was down otherwise would have chatted earlier. Must go to bed not much sleep last night getting up to the little boy. Sleep tight all ;)

D

DebbieR

Hi Glynis,
Just wanted to send you lots of love and hugs for you and Duke. I know exactly what you're going through. You sound like you're doing a great job. :)

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keep up the good work!

He will pick up soon I'm sure. We're all thinking of you!

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Good news he actually was waiting this morning for me and the veggies :)
Still gave him the metacam this morning as the vet said to continue for 5 days.
My cucumber wasn't looking good so will buy some more fresh today, i spend more on his veggies than i do on our he he he. He gobbled up the tiny pieces of apple and i've left instructions for my son to call when he gets home about 1pm to check and report into me.
Thanks again from Duke and I :-*

michellemuffin

Reaction score
you are doing so well when mine have teeth ops etc they often go off of food and its hard to tempt them back to eat again we've been there and you are doing great keep it up, hes worth it good luck,

C

claire

Awww your doing great

Keep up the good work and good luck

Love
Claire
x

Status
Not open for further replies.