• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Temperature Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here in liverpool, the tempretur to night is 55 degrees , last night at the same time it was in the 80,s
it's well known that pigs do not far well to sudden temp changes , O K , 24 hours is hardly sudden , but
Such a big drop has me taking no chances, I have just put the heat on in my pig room :hmm:

Here in liverpool, the tempretur to night is 55 degrees , last night at the same time it was in the 80,s
it's well known that pigs do not far well to sudden temp changes , O K , 24 hours is hardly sudden , but
Such a big drop has me taking no chances, I have just put the heat on in my pig room :hmm:

I know what you mean - it's July and we're talking about having the heating on. The pigs are worth it!

Just curious, but what is the lower range of their safe temperature zone? I've got temp fluctuations from night to day here in southern California, and I know that above 74F is too high, so what is too low? My day/night temperature can swing as much as what @gizzy describes fairly regularly.

Hi
Just curious, but what is the lower range of their safe temperature zone? I've got temp fluctuations from night to day here in southern California, and I know that above 74F is too high, so what is too low? My day/night temperature can swing as much as what @gizzy describes fairly regularly.

Hi according to my G P book the ideal temp to keep a pig happy and healthy is around 64 f, though they can cope with temps lower as long as they are shelterd from drafts

Draughts and damp are dangerous for guinea pigs so should be protected. My piggies always have lots of hay which really insulates, so if they are feeling a little chilly they can always go under the hay. I certainly wouldn't be heating my house, or my guinea pig shed, at this time of year.

Our house seems to be holding it's temp when the night temps drop thankfully, but that means it's a nightmare in summer trying to keep it cool! No heating at all at the moment!

Ugh.. the bungalow I live in... it doesn't drop like that (temperature), I'm the same as @Flutterby We've been having to open the external doors and windows, which is a bit of a nightmare because of all the insects.. We even had to go and buy a couple of fans!

I think the council here have done a good job of insulating the place lol.

Same here! Ours is an ex-council house and it's like an oven, particularly upstairs! We have the windows open, blinds down to stop sun coming through, fans on, ice packs, the lot! It's a nightmare!

Yeap... but omg Flutter you should have felt it in my old place. We lived in a maisonette, the living room/kitchen upstairs, bedrooms/bathroom/toilet were down, above us was a flat.... in the summer it was horrible! We would have to move downstairs because it got so hot. Downstairs was cool, but a bit too cool in the winter..

Haha Kerrie sounds like us! Downstairs usually stays pretty cool unless we open the convservatory, then it bakes, so when it's really hot we have to keep the conservatory shut. Then we use it as a dryer and just hang fleeces and beds everywhere!

lol we hang the fleeces over the doors XD In the old place they went over a rail where the stairs are, never had to hang anything out there.

I have those folding maidens that I just put out and hang the liners over, and the beds go on the window ledges!

lol we hang the fleeces over the doors XD In the old place they went over a rail where the stairs are, never had to hang anything out there.

We do that too, though Ross has to do it because I'm so short.

Our heating has to stay off at the moment too, we are in a really big council block of flats and it's really well insulated. Today I have the windows open as much as I can before the 2 resident pigeons that live on the roof come in plus the curtains closed to keep the sunlight out. The air con will go on once home after work if needed but the room should stay cool until then.

lol :)

I open the windows/door when I get up, just so non of us get over heated. It's not too bad atm.

It's fairly cool here at the mo, sun hasn't come out and it's overcast so i'm not too worried.

It is often the quick day/night temperature changes, sudden weather swings with major cold or warm weather fronts and cold/damp drafts that are dangerous; hence why we typically see an influx of URIs in the winter or the summer months (often caused by icy drafts/unheated rooms at night and too strong air conditioning/badly insulated places in summer) and UTIs in spring and autumn when the daily temperature swings are largest and the lawn is often still too cold and damp when unaccustomed piggies are put out. At higher risk during these fluctuations are the very young, the elderly and the frail/ill (of which @gizzy has several), as they struggle more to adjust and cope with these stresses on the body, especially on the heart/blood circulation.

A lot also depends on your local climate and how well your home/piggy shed or hutch is insulated against extremes/can be aired overnight.

Guinea pigs can accustom to living in generally colder or hotter conditions (like Singapore for instance), provided that these are constant and they are given a chance to keep warm or from overheating. Generally, guinea pigs do best in the temperature range that we humans are comfy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back