• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tentative update about spam - 28/1/11! See p2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yesterday I switched the forum to a setting whereby new members have to be manually approved before they join. Debbie, Lindsay and I are keeping on top of new registrations.

We have a problem in that any spam-bots that registered before the changes on Sunday can still post. They have a variety of registered email addresses from a variety of service providers and each one has a different IP address which means that they can't be blanket banned. Our task to come over the next few days is as follows:

• We need to go through the list of users who have registered in the last few days. There have been around 50+ new registrations a day, about 10% of these genuine registrations. Unfortunately a lot of the genuine registrations have similar email addresses to the spam ones so we have to check each one individually against an online database of known spam-related IP addresses. Each spammer already registered has to be deleted individually.
  • It's not an instant process so please bear with us. Posting that you're going to go away until it's sorted doesn't make us feel any better as we still have to see it and it's not something I want my child to see. We also all work full time and have lives/families as well so bear that in mind, too. We appreciate all the messages of support.
  • Long term we are looking at updating the software to sort out the bug once and for all.
Thanks again, any other posts discussing it from now on will be merged into this thread.

Last edited:
Good news and well done. Keep it up...:))

I think you've all done an amazing job, it must've been timeconsuming, unpleasant, frustrating for you. Thanks again for all the very hard work.

Well done, I really appreciate the hard work you are all putting in, I don't envy you having to go through all the registrations

Thank you, and a big well done too, its great news to hear :)

I think we all ought to have a whip round and get some pressure cushions for you. You must all have been sat at your desks for so long! Thanks for all your efforts. xx

48 hours ago I changed a few more settings. I'm pleased to report that ther have been no more spam registrations since then! Yahoooooooooooo!

Touch wood etc :))

512a4EgcBGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Today's spammer registered on 7th, well before all the changes were made, so I'm sure it will be shifted soon. xx:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back