The Ashes - cricket anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Do i mention the word cricket and the Ashes?

Anyway hope it's a great series, i'd love it if we won but if the Poms (affectionate name plenty of English friends :-*) win then they deserve too.
It starts on Thursday in Queensland and i know what station our TV will be on, it happens every summer SIGH. I prefer one day games only cause it doesn't go on as long :D

Good luck guys you won it fairly the last time, dam good series.

D

DebbieR

Is it that time already? Good lord it doesn't seem like 2 minutes ago the last one was on. I personally can't abide cricket. :)

Glynis, why are the English called Poms? I've always wanted to know that ;D

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hi Deb

Well i believe it all stems back from the war (horrible times) day when each country gave the others nick names.

We're called Aussies, English are called Poms, unfortunately some of the names could be cruel and as time has passed i don't think it's kind to use them. To me Aussies and Poms are friendly nick names :)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
are'nt the English often called whinging poms personally I like Aussie and poms sounds quite freindly, as for cricket its posh boys rounders is'nt it? I have absolutly no idea how to play cricket or rugby football i can just about understand, golf seems to be talking another language, what with fore birdies and bunkers, tennis I quite like at least it sounds quite friendly with love this and love that lol

bevs

Reaction score
Glynis I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE cricket :D

I shall be glued to the TV, it starts tonight at midnight here.

Last years (2005) series was a perfect example of cricket at its best, I felt sooooo sorry for Brett Lee, he'd done so well, I was torn between wanting Australia to win because they'd played a cracking game and thoroughly deserved it, and obviously wanting England to win!

Well good luck to you too, may the best team win..... on Aussie turf that will be you guys ;D

Bev xx

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I listened to the broadcast whilst rescuing the piggies, kept the mind occupied ;D

Michelle they do say 'wingeing poms' but hey aren't we all guilty of that at sometime? Gosh you should hear some of the aussies :o

No i definitely like to think of it as nick name. Hey Michelle don't you like the 'runs', 'googly', 'leg before' and 'fours' ? Great terminology eh... :D

Aussie's had a good start, but that Freddie did well with his bowling

bevs

Reaction score
Give you a giggle Glynis, regarding cricket terminology.

I didn't know much about cricket until I met my hubby 18 yrs ago and he was cricket mad, the first time I heard the term 'night watchman' I sat there for a bit pondering it, and then said to him " so is he actually going to have to stay there ALL night?" "why? are they worried someone will tamper with the wicket?"

He stared at me then killed himself laughing! ;D

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Oh Bev you are a dag (affectionately said) that's just priceless. ;D :D

Yeah the terminology is totally weird, but then if you start to look at other sports and their terminology you can get very confused too. The list is unending when i start to think. ?

bevs

Reaction score
* Sings *
"Oh it's all gone quiet over here"
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Oh dear it's the same result as last time, we won :)
I can just hope that this time we don't fall down and you guys pummel us to pieces again :-\ ah well all in fun eh as my Mum says, it's only a game.
Like any sport it went pretty good for us, all the pieces fell into place.
Good luck to you guys in Adelaide :)

Status
Not open for further replies.