• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

the av (politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstori

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
washington, tyne and wear, uk (unfortunately lol)
groan... :))

BUT! has anyone received any info yet? Ive already decided which way I am voting, but most people i talk to do not even know what it is.

Just watching it on TV now (and do not get me started on the fliers that omitted Benjamin Zephaniah grrr lol)

Tori x

from what I have seen on facebook our area is one of the only ones not to have received anything at all yet.. hmmm..

Ive already decided but was interested in reading the leaflets, although do not think it could tell me anything else that I havent aklready read x

Just don't get it...........when any of us have elections, we all seem to miss out on info........ :xmallethead
(remember i'm in OZ)
it seems it's the same world over :<>

Just don't get it...........when any of us have elections, we all seem to miss out on info........ :xmallethead
(remember i'm in OZ)
it seems it's the same world over :<>

The AV is such a massive change in our voting system that I am shocked that people do not even know about it (i have been reading up on it for a few months) and the government is leaving it so late to send out info :x

x

I have this theory, admittedly completely impractical, that everyone should be able to complete a short exam on the partys' manifestos before they are allowed to vote :))

I was talking to my dad about this as it sounds like a great system, and we get to vote on it over here, but we are voting for your voting system, not ours, which apparently won't change @) Is this right? I hope I don't sound too ignorant, I don't know much about these things but would like to understand them more. At the risk of sounding completely stupid, why are we voting for your voting system, when we don't get to vote for the prime minister? Hope I don't offend anyone with my ignorance on the subject! :red

I was talking to my dad about this as it sounds like a great system, and we get to vote on it over here, but we are voting for your voting system, not ours, which apparently won't change @) Is this right? I hope I don't sound too ignorant, I don't know much about these things but would like to understand them more. At the risk of sounding completely stupid, why are we voting for your voting system, when we don't get to vote for the prime minister? Hope I don't offend anyone with my ignorance on the subject! :red

I hadnt known about it but found this atricle
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/northern_ireland/8674418.stm
i agree, it seems fairer. I have a few reasons for wanting the av to go ahead. x

The AV is such a massive change in our voting system that I am shocked that people do not even know about it (i have been reading up on it for a few months) and the government is leaving it so late to send out info :x

x

Many people just aren't interested in anything political and won't bother learning about what it is they're voting on... It's unfortnunate but true.

I know which way I'll be voting, info or no info... We don't get much info around here either... :/

Many people just aren't interested in anything political and won't bother learning about what it is they're voting on... It's unfortnunate but true.

I know which way I'll be voting, info or no info... We don't get much info around here either... :/

i agree.
I follow politics, it affects everyone so think we should know at least the basics, but it has a stigma of being uninterseting and that is so not true! I think i often shock people with some of the things i come out with :))

i agree.
I follow politics, it affects everyone so think we should know at least the basics, but it has a stigma of being uninterseting and that is so not true! I think i often shock people with some of the things i come out with :))

Haha, it is interesting! I'm not a huge fan of the theory behind it (I did political theory at uni for two years.... now that is boring) but in practice I think it's a really interesting and vital thing for people to know about! Even if people just read up on what candidates offer, what it means for the country, hell even what parties stand for! It does rile me up when I hear people my age going "I'm voting for this person because I like his name" or "they're against the tuition fee rise so I'm voting for them (ignoring every other, more important and fundamental policies that they have)

Ugh. Rant over! :P

Haha, it is interesting! I'm not a huge fan of the theory behind it (I did political theory at uni for two years.... now that is boring) but in practice I think it's a really interesting and vital thing for people to know about! Even if people just read up on what candidates offer, what it means for the country, hell even what parties stand for! It does rile me up when I hear people my age going "I'm voting for this person because I like his name" or "they're against the tuition fee rise so I'm voting for them (ignoring every other, more important and fundamental policies that they have)

Ugh. Rant over! :P

I'm glad I'm not alone. The amount of arguments I have had because someone has said "I'm voting blah, cos i dont like any so its better the devil you know" I dont like any 100% which is why i research and choose the one i agree with the most! @)
the same with the arguments about our current government. Give them a chance! things arent going to change overnight. Okay it isnt who I wanted in, but the state of this country, it isnt going to be fixed overnight! x

I'm glad I'm not alone. The amount of arguments I have had because someone has said "I'm voting blah, cos i dont like any so its better the devil you know" I dont like any 100% which is why i research and choose the one i agree with the most! @)
the same with the arguments about our current government. Give them a chance! things arent going to change overnight. Okay it isnt who I wanted in, but the state of this country, it isnt going to be fixed overnight! x

Unfortunately with the current "must have it now" attitude of the majority of the population, I'd be very surprised if the current government are given the time to actually get things fixed... I see this ending up in a back/forth of break it/part fix it cycle. It's going to take years to fix the state of this country, and if I'm perfectly honest, it needs the current leaders to have more guts than they currently have to do it... :/

Unfortunately with the current "must have it now" attitude of the majority of the population, I'd be very surprised if the current government are given the time to actually get things fixed... I see this ending up in a back/forth of break it/part fix it cycle. It's going to take years to fix the state of this country, and if I'm perfectly honest, it needs the current leaders to have more guts than they currently have to do it... :/

agree!

Will be interseting to see how the may vote goes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back