• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The Beauty of OAP Apple Snails šŸ˜

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
After having 16 aquatic Apple snails at one point, (pomacea diffusa, now banned as pets but I was allowed to keep mine after the banning as no breeding from them, so no PTS thankfully) I now only have my two, upgraded to Arnieā€™s tank not long ago and enjoying their snail mansion! :D Big Daddy is over 4 and his daughter Mabel is 3 and a half-ish. They live to 2+ normally so doing well!:love:
I donā€™t get why people donā€™t love slugs and snails, theyā€™re so pretty!? šŸ˜‰:)) Big Daddy there!:D
1D881AC0-7679-4563-98B2-16A9CDB0A30A.jpeg
Was hoping for a gruesome romaine lettuce sucking pic but theyā€™re taking a while to get there! :))

Apple snails are really cool! When I go visit my in-laws, we find tons of shells in the lake near their house. I have nerites in my fish tank. Someone on the fish keeping forum I belong to has a giant african land snail.

Apple snails are really cool! When I go visit my in-laws, we find tons of shells in the lake near their house. I have nerites in my fish tank. Someone on the fish keeping forum I belong to has a giant african land snail.
Yeah theyā€™re such lovely beasts to watch sliming around! Know you guys in the US have a massive problem with them (after idiots set them free! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø) and with global warming theyā€™re able to survive over here in the UK now, why theyā€™ve been banned. Itā€™s a shame, I love them!
Iā€™ve had a GAL too, Hendrix! I took him on years ago, lovely slimy chap, but Iā€™d lose my arm for an hour while he got off to go back to bed! :love: :))

Do you keep any fish with them? Or do they have a tank all to themselves?

Do you keep any fish with them? Or do they have a tank all to themselves?
Theyā€™re great with fish that donā€™t pick on them too much, those tentacle snail bits are quite tempting! So a peaceful tank really.
But they produce a huge amount of waste! Why Iā€™ve had separate tanks for slimers and scaly ones for a while! Pretty grotty really! :))

Theyā€™re great with fish that donā€™t pick on them too much, those tentacle snail bits are quite tempting! So a peaceful tank really.
But they produce a huge amount of waste! Why Iā€™ve had separate tanks for slimers and scaly ones for a while! Pretty grotty really! :))
Mystery snails are really popular here, but I was worried about them getting nipped by fish. I also didn't want to deal with more snails. The worst nerites do is "snaildazzle" the tank with their little eggs.

Goldfish are really bad with pooping. Guinea pigs aren't bad at all. I'd watch out for crabs with snails as they do like to eat them sometimes. You could always try shrimp.

I'm not afraid of poop, I have children! šŸ’©:))

Beautiful! I love snalies! I don't like slugs, for some reason they make my skin crawl, but I don't hate and i'm not scared of them and just leave them be if I see them.

Beautiful! I love snalies! I don't like slugs, for some reason they make my skin crawl, but I don't hate and i'm not scared of them and just leave them be if I see them.
Iā€™m the same! Itā€™s strange but snails are just so much nicer!
DD53ECAC-F402-44E5-BC83-727D735CF01C.jpegF89BCA9E-75A2-4FFF-9992-3A35A0E6B51B.jpeg61817BC6-EF1B-45C6-87B1-353FAF2E2AB2.jpeg
These guys had such gorgeous colours but theyā€™ve obviously faded a lot over the years!

I love snails- when I was a child my grandfather had a koi pond with huge aquatic snails that I found fascinating. I've never had them as pets as an adult, but we have aquatic snails in our lake at the cottage and we have wild snails in our area with beautiful shells that I am always happy to see in the yard! Yours are lovely!

I love snails! When I was a toddler I used to go round the garden looking for them! I would then let them crawl over my hands, put them in a basket and call them ā€˜my babiesā€™! I would set them free in the bushes afterwards :D:D:D

Thanks @Freela :)
I love snails! When I was a toddler I used to go round the garden looking for them! I would then let them crawl over my hands, put them in a basket and call them ā€˜my babiesā€™! I would set them free in the bushes afterwards :D:D:D
Haha I was a snail collector too as I child, always loved them!

Back