The boar conundrum?

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That’s great to hear glad they’ve sorted out their issues!
Yeah once one piggy has been ill/starts to feel better there will normally be a dominance flare up as the dominant pig ‘challenges’ for his place in the hierarchy back. It used to happen with mine - When Diego the dominant pig had a mild uri Dougal took it as his opportunity to try and claim top pig but Diego was having none of it so they were bickering on and off for a while after that :doh::))
Sounds exactly like these two! 🙈🙈🙈

Free Ranger

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our first 2 (some years back now) were 3-ish year old rescue boars Casper and Harvey. I didn't know about dominance at that time and indeed we never saw any behaviours other than gentle, respectable sharing until Harvey started to show signs of illness - then overnight Casper turned into an absolute tyrant and we had to separate straight away! I really looked at that pig with new eyes I can tell you. Harvey got progressively worse (they think it was some sort of growth in the brain) but he was cheerful talking to Casper through the bars and Casper liked to be near him too. They got back the companionship and affection they had always shared once they had their own spaces but they could never be in the same enclosure again. That's piggy life I guess.

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our first 2 (some years back now) were 3-ish year old rescue boars Casper and Harvey. I didn't know about dominance at that time and indeed we never saw any behaviours other than gentle, respectable sharing until Harvey started to show signs of illness - then overnight Casper turned into an absolute tyrant and we had to separate straight away! I really looked at that pig with new eyes I can tell you. Harvey got progressively worse (they think it was some sort of growth in the brain) but he was cheerful talking to Casper through the bars and Casper liked to be near him too. They got back the companionship and affection they had always shared once they had their own spaces but they could never be in the same enclosure again. That's piggy life I guess.
That’s exactly how Stark was. Completely turned on Odin when Odin got poorly!

Free Ranger

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They used to eat at the same time so we put the pellet bowls at the fence and they would eat together. Harvey's had to go against the wall as when he put his head into the bowl he fell over (his balance went) but he quickly figured out how to lean against the wall first! His full name was "Hungry Harvey" and he looked really cheerful at dinner time (which was nearly all the time!) I don't think he could have co-habited with any pig in the end as his needs were unique in that way.

Even if your boys can't tolerate the same space on occasion I'm sure they would still be lost without each other 💕

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They used to eat at the same time so we put the pellet bowls at the fence and they would eat together. Harvey's had to go against the wall as when he put his head into the bowl he fell over (his balance went) but he quickly figured out how to lean against the wall first! His full name was "Hungry Harvey" and he looked really cheerful at dinner time (which was nearly all the time!) I don't think he could have co-habited with any pig in the end as his needs were unique in that way.

Even if your boys can't tolerate the same space on occasion I'm sure they would still be lost without each other 💕
Bless him! But sounds like your boys were very happy! 😊💕

Free Ranger

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They had been through a lot together I think. They had belonged to a young man who surrendered them for adoption when he realised he couldn't provide what they needed. They had apparently spent a lot of time 'living on concrete' and I suspect outside as they both had thick coats at first. I will always feel grateful to him for giving them up as I think he must have actually loved them a great deal, because they were so responsive and easy to handle. These first pigs were the only ones we re-named as we were told the original names but the lady didn't know which was which anyway!

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They had been through a lot together I think. They had belonged to a young man who surrendered them for adoption when he realised he couldn't provide what they needed. They had apparently spent a lot of time 'living on concrete' and I suspect outside as they both had thick coats at first. I will always feel grateful to him for giving them up as I think he must have actually loved them a great deal, because they were so responsive and easy to handle. These first pigs were the only ones we re-named as we were told the original names but the lady didn't know which was which anyway!
Wow. It’s so good that they found you too. It’s awful to think about how some piggies live. I wish I could save them all!

Free Ranger

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some days I'm just like, "Well, animals make the best of things whatever the circumstances because that's evolution" but then other days I'm the guinea-pig version of the "Can't Hug Every Cat" e-harmony lady (
if you've not seen her, but watch out - it's catchy!) 🎶

Free Ranger

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooooh I thought that link would just be text and it's done that automatically - sorry if that breaks any rules here!