• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The cutest pigtures you will ever see - shiny piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a lot about Satins and have thankfully seen no evidence of scaremongering from anyone. Have read some pretty heart breaking stories from owners who have had to have young animals that should be in the prime of life pts because of the condition osteodystrophy and to me that is very sad :'(

Time will tell...

Barbara

Barbara, this is exactly what I mean. You have READ about satins and READ heartbreaking stories (like the one about Julio and Fidget which seems to have been published absolutely everywhere).

I was pleased to read your earlier posting saying that you have not had a satin in your rescue centre. But you say “but I will as there are now breeders in my area, it's a matter of when….†. Can I tell you that Tyne & Wear (which I understand is the location of your rescue centre) has actually been a ‘hot bed‘ for satins almost since the time of the original imports from USA. They are not NEW to your area at all, its just that the people who have kept them looked after them properly and bred from them carefully. Sadly Vic Bailey, still known affectionately in ‘showing’ circles as ‘the Shiny King’ because of his lovely satins, has now passed on. Another top breeder still lives in your area but I will not identify them because they still keep many satins (big fit winning ones!) Please just see that there are both sides to this ‘satin debate’ - all I am hoping for is HONESTY and good care of satin cavies and this seems to be a bit thin on the ground!

I agree that the ‘Julio’ story has made show satin breeders realise that they must not sell satin piggies to beginners, or worse still, anyone who would breed hundreds for the pet trade but why is this so strange? It’s the same reason that children are given grumpy hairy fat ponies to learn to ride on - not racehorses or delicate show ponies! It really has to be the same with piggies and perhaps this is where the education is needed.

Aww your satins are gorgeous!
I keep a small amount of Satins and have only had to PTS one with signs of OD, even though my local vet didnt have a clue about OD. I took all ther literature I could in but they werent interested in reading it and PTS anyway.

GPQ x

Have you joined the board Juniper simply to promote the satin breed?

Barbara

GPQ said:
Aww your satins are gorgeous!
I keep a small amount of Satins and have only had to PTS one with signs of OD, even though my local vet didnt have a clue about OD. I took all ther literature I could in but they werent interested in reading it and PTS anyway.

GPQ x

That is really sad to hear, poor guinea pig, I hope that you have found a more understanding vet :-\

I's a shame that you had to have your Satin put to sleep just because a vet wasn't interested in learning more about health issues specific to that breed. Have you been in touch with Karen at RGPR? She is very knowledgable about osteodystrophy.

Barbara

:) Hi Juniper, I meant that I was suprised that Cavykind hadn't seen any Satins because I know a big breeder who has just given up and there are lothers still going. I also know that a lot of Satins have found their way to the pet shops so was suprised that CK had seen none. In the South I have never seen a Satin in a pet shop though they are there. I did not say that anyone has given up because of OD? Please don't put words into my mouth.

I haven't scaremongered at all, I have pigs with one common ancestor Great Grandad (off the top of my head) that have OD, One Self typy Satin whose father originated from Scotland, I believe, she has OD but is not showing any signs of it and 2 other sows (pet type and Self type ) that are clear as of a year ago. As far as I am concerned if a pig doesn't suffer then whats the problem?

My only concern in this are the general public who don't know about this, or they be expected to expect the unkown. I think they should be able to make an informed choice. I am not anti breeding or showing or part of any 'ban the Satin' group. I like to see well bred Guineas of all kinds. I am anti pet shop that sell livestock and think that there is enough surplus stock to be sold by breeders.

I would like nothing more than to have some typy Satins to x-ray periodically and find a strain that doesn't suffer- regardless of whether or not they have it.

My honest opinion on OD at the moment from what I've seen- some get it severely (have had some with it diagnosed by x-ray), some don't, have had Satins with OD that haven't suffered. Sorry if thats scaremongering ?

:) Ooops, forgot I also have an Agouti Satin that hasn't been xrayed yet, but shows no sign of OD. Can't be any more honest than this and not really sure what you want me to say.

Ahhh how cute are they?! I just bought some new piggies myself after not having any for a few years-I'd forgotten just how gorgeous the little things are!

:)Too cute?! :) The one with the blaze and white crest is my fave. And Mum's a stunner too ;) I managed without piggies for a while too but don't think I could again. ;D

Ohmagosh that first pictures so cute. o.o <33 That could be like, a backround on the desktop or something.

karenrgpr said:
:) Hi Juniper, I meant that I was suprised that Cavykind hadn't seen any Satins because I know a big breeder who has just given up and there are lothers still going. I also know that a lot of Satins have found their way to the pet shops so was suprised that CK had seen none. In the South I have never seen a Satin in a pet shop though they are there. I did not say that anyone has given up because of OD? Please don't put words into my mouth.

I haven't scaremongered at all, I have pigs with one common ancestor Great Grandad (off the top of my head) that have OD, One Self typy Satin whose father originated from Scotland, I believe, she has OD but is not showing any signs of it and 2 other sows (pet type and Self type ) that are clear as of a year ago. As far as I am concerned if a pig doesn't suffer then whats the problem?

My only concern in this are the general public who don't know about this, or they be expected to expect the unkown. I think they should be able to make an informed choice. I am not anti breeding or showing or part of any 'ban the Satin' group. I like to see well bred Guineas of all kinds. I am anti pet shop that sell livestock and think that there is enough surplus stock to be sold by breeders.

I would like nothing more than to have some typy Satins to x-ray periodically and find a strain that doesn't suffer- regardless of whether or not they have it.

My honest opinion on OD at the moment from what I've seen- some get it severely (have had some with it diagnosed by x-ray), some don't, have had Satins with OD that haven't suffered. Sorry if thats scaremongering ?

Hi Karen - I agree totally with what you have said. I dont in any way think you have been scaremongering people. From what I have seen you are just trying to educate people about the breed. I personally think satins should only go to people experienced with piggies. I would not be happy seeing a satin for sale in a petshop. I think first time owners have enough to worry about making sure they are doing everything right without the burden of OD hanging over their head too :-\
I have 10 satins here at the moment and as with almost all satins they will stay here. I do wonder if they are just a very weak breed (as are silver agoutis). I have one with OD, another with respiratory problems (still unknown cause despite meds and x-rays), and another which passed away just a few weeks after arrival. I also have a satin carrier here who was bred with a satin boar (not by me I might add ;)) , none of her babies survived and shortly after her birth she developed a womb infection and Ketosis, luckily she survived but they are just a few more things to consider.

Juniper - I gather from your posts you asume we are very "anti breeder"? In fact this is not the case. Both me and Karen have friends that are breeders, I have nothing against people that do things right. Despite me working in a pet shop it is actually pet shop sales that I hate the most as these are what cause the most problems :-\

I have a satin in the rescue at the moment. She seems fine but is only young. I'll only rehome her to someone experienced, or maybe I had better keep her ? She is a very chatty active little pig. Lilac and ginger, a strange combination. I had thought I had seen satins before, but she glows, the others were just shiny ;D

hopperhaven said:
I have a satin in the rescue at the moment. She seems fine but is only young. I'll only rehome her to someone experienced, or maybe I had better keep her ? She is a very chatty active little pig. Lilac and ginger, a strange combination. I had thought I had seen satins before, but she glows, the others were just shiny ;D

Pics please 8)

Oh wow they are so sweet!I love them all.How are they getting on? :) :D ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back