• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

The free ads OAPS - advice from rescuers please

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I took in two 5 year old sows (Guiness and Stella) from the free ads last week (pictures to follow I can't find my camera cable) - they are in reasonable condition with healthy appetites but I have had a few problems and would welcome opinions from experienced rescuers.

Both of them had very overgrown toenails - corkscrewed right around several times. Thankfully having cut them they are both walking fine and don't seem to have any pain in their feet.

Sadly one of the girls (Stella) has a lump under her front leg. I took them to the vets this evening. She also has cateracts which explains why she sometimes misses the entrance to her pigloo. I was so hoping it would be a fatty lump, but apparently it has a fibrous area and some satelite areas around it. The vet feels that it is either the result of an earlier infection or it may be malignant. It's not in an area that he feels it can be operated and he didn't think it needed aspirating as it is not causing her any pain - which is in some ways a relief as she is such an elderly lady. Basically we have weighed her (a healthy 1300g) and I have to monitor it. He has told me that we may need to make a decision about her quality of life at some point. This seems like a reasonable decision to me - but it's so sad as she's such a sweetie.

The other piggie (Guiness who looks tiny but manages to weigh in at 1100g) has no real health issues and is a stroppy, vocal little miss who had no worries about telling the whole vet surgery how she felt about being examined :)

They both have semi-long fur and I hadn't examined them very closely - I had noticed they were a little scurfy and would have bathed them immediately had they been youngsters but sooo didn't want to do this. However at the vets they turned out to be really quite scurfy and filthy and guiness has a couple of minute scabs on her back. The vet was pretty sure it wasn't mites, but we agreed that we would use some 'spot on' type treatment as a precaution and keep them away from mine until we are sure (they are in quarantine in the lounge). I didn't want to get them injected unless we were sure they had mites.

So I have had to bath them - I had to use some small animal shampoo with teatree that I already had. Turns out that poor Stella on top of everything else has a horrible black scurfy area on her bum - I haven't managed to get all of it out with one wash and I may have to do it again :(. I think that they have been neglected and allowed to get really filthy in the cage and I know that wood shavings can cause skin conditions so hopefully this is all it was. Guiness was actually less scurfy although she really was a problem to bath - not happy at all. Stella was a complete angel.

They have both been dried out as much as practical with my hairdryer on low heat and put back in a completely clean cage. I haven't put any cozies in there as I don't want them getting fleece damp and sitting on it. I'm going to put a heater in the room overnight. Again I sooo didn't want to bath OAPs but they were really filthy. They don't seem too traumatised and are both out eating hay with me in the room.

So much for my non-interventionist approach - they've had a difficult nail clip, a vet visit and a bath in two days.

The rescues have my greatest respect - I've had lots of animals and dealt with lots of ill health over the last 15 years but these two are going to break my heart I can tell.

Oh and don't even get me started on the flies that hatched out of the hay they came with in my kitchen bin.

Paula

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear!

It may not have been the start to their life with you have been planning on, but those girls must feel so much better in themselves after their ordeal! Poor, poor girls!

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
omg poor girls, thank god you have rescued them, really hope they are ok and if not at least they are happy now, some people are despicable.

looking forward to piccies of them, if they have got over their vet visit, bath and nail clip :))

Well done x

Reaction score
Well done thats great great news. Sounds like the little ladies will be feeling much better after a pamper day. Black scurf sounds like grease build up but spot on treatment will clear up anything lurking.cant wait see pictures x

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They seem to be coping quite well. Not a very good photo as I didn't want to pester them too much after the bath trauma. I think that both of them have cateracts looking at this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24044514@N02/5518044661/

Sorry can't do better with photo at present. I haven't got FTP on this computer to upload the photo to my website so it has to be Flickr. Guiness on the left, Stella on the right.

Last edited:

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. Despite everything they are lovely guinea pigs - tame and nice nature and will even share a pigloo (with a little grumbling). They must think the cavy cosy is heaven.

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's great that you could offer these girls a home. They really deserve some love and attention. I'm sure they're feeling a lot better already. Jenny at CGPR has a piggy with cataracts. She manages very well but we try and keep all her things in the same place so if she wants to have a mad dash around there are no nasty surprises.
Jenny also has a blind piggy whose favourite thing is a fleece tunnel. She loves being in there and adjusting it so it's just right.

Looking forward to hearing more about these girls. :)

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got some more tunnels/cosies on order so they can both have one - i also have some old Fizzbutt Hooj Cubes that the chinchillas have trashed that the piggies like (lots of custom ways in and out).

They have recovered from their ordeal this morning and in a way I wish I'd bathed them earlier as Guiness in particular has stopped the scratching. Oh and their White fur is White!

I think they can both see a little and have good noses for tracking down the veg :) They are still in their too small cage, but at least they know their way around it. I am going to make a decision on housing when I know whether they get on with Priscilla and Marmaduke, but at present they ares still in quarantine.

Paula

Reaction score
So pleased you got these two girls, you've done wonders with them already! Thanks for keeping us updated, i'm sure they will continue to flourish with your love and care :)

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi sorry I have not posted earlier, I have done 2 long days on the ward and have not been near a computer, you are doing a fantastic job with those girls and I am really glad that the family did not listen to my suggestion about keeping the girls in their twilight years as they have obviously been very neglected. Thank god that they will spend the rest of their lives well looked after and loved x

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bet they think their guardian angel has turned up. Sure that they will flourish now that you have taken them in. x>>

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are you defo sure they are girls? just thinking with the grease build up and the rumbling? girls can get grease build up but its mostly seen in boars and the rumbling can be because of a dominant sow or a season but also worth double checking they are sows and not boars as boars rumble alot more than sows x

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:)) - now slightly indignant after being tipped up, but definitely sows. I think I would have noticed male accessories - but then again you do tend to see what you expect to see and Stella has quite long fur on her bum.

I so would never make a rescue.

Paula

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You sound like you are doing everything perfectly! Its horrible to think that people could neglect their guinea pigs so much. I got Nelson from a rescue centre and when he arrived he had blistered feet, overgrown toenails and his was really flabby. He's now very happy and toned from running about the garden! :)

They look lovely now, and I'm sure they're much happier. Feed them good amounts of parsley - its great for them, especially if they've had a rough time in the past :))

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just a quick update on the girls.

Much as I hated the idea of doing it they both really benefitted from their baths and getting off sawdust. Their skin has calmed right down and they are both glossy and clean. They scratching has gone right down as well.

They have settled in really well in the lounge and are very tame - they only run if you make them jump (the only guinea pig I know that doesn't do that is Priscilla though). They are good eaters and really enjoy the nice meadow hay and are being changed over to burgess pellets from their mix. I wish I could keep them in the lounge but sadly I am allergic to the hay so they will be going in the rodent room - either in with my two or I will buy them a bigger cage.

I ordered some nice stuff from gorgeous guineas, but I don't think they will need a second bath.

Stella's lump is not bothering her at present - you can feel it and she doesn't really show any signs of noticing it - fingers crossed that it is an old abcess or very slow growing.

If they're skin stays the same I will carefully introduce them on neutral ground to Priscilla and Marmaduke at the weekend when I have plenty of time to supervise. Gut feeling is they will get on as they are all laid back except for marmaduke who i suspect will greet more women with the same enthusiasm.

Paula

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad that the new girls are so much better!

Marmaduke will just love to add more girls to his harem. Llewelyn was as enthusiastic with girl #13 as he was with #2 and 3! I hope that all goes well.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
awww i love happy endings...well done x>>

ps/ I'm thinking we need more pics though, just to prove what you say!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.