• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The Good Ideas (or why didn't I think of that?) Thread

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas? I'll start off with one.

If you use Milton to sterilise your piggie bottles after you have taken them out of the solution pop in your loo brushes and the holders. The solution is good for 24 hours so why waste it? It only takes 15 mins to sterilise everything.

I do that too, washing detergents are great for shifting roasting tin contents.
I use a Brillo pad (wire wool impregnated with soap) to clean the glass on the front of the oven and any metal racks and the oven base (Don’t use on self cleaning areas)

When I was cutting the menfolk’s hair I got them to wear an old festival shower mac (with the hood tucked in side) over their clothes. The hair didn’t stick to them or their clothes and it saved me buying a hairdressing cape.

I use denture tablets ( the ones that fizz and dissolve in water) to get tea stains from my teapot and teaspoons and my travel mug I use for work.
I use washing powder for this and also on roasting trays/grill pans that become crusted over time
I do that too, washing detergents are great for shifting roasting tin contents.
I use a Brillo pad (wire wool impregnated with soap) to clean the glass on the front of the oven and any metal racks and the oven base (Don’t use on self cleaning areas)
I usually use 'bicarbonate of soda' sprinkled liberally on a damp cloth/paper towel & if you rub in a circular motion it usually removes the grease & stains from glass, ceramic hobs, oven doors, metal tins, mugs, etc. without being abrasive. I did my oven door in about 5mins a week or so ago, looks like new now :)
(apparently a dishwasher tablet rubbed over will do the same?)
Copper bottomed pans look lovely too!

There's a cleaning powder called 'Barkeepers friend' it's a bit stronger but does the same thing.

Also a bicarbonate of soda & water thin paste rubbed on the oven sides after oven use helps the grease to just be rubbed off easily after use the next time. The powder absorbs the grease & just drops away.

Putting a mug of water with a dash of lemon in a microwave on high for 30 seconds & then just leave to steam for 5mins or so) after smelly /fishy meals helps to soften stuck on food splatters & also deodorise the microwave. :D

I always have vinegar around the house (piggy laundry) but it’s also good for getting shiny sinks. I’d mix it with water and a little washing up liquid 👌🏾 I need to shine my sinks again!
I mix vinegar in a spray bottle with a bit of water to clean all hard surfaces.
If you burn something on the bottom of a sauce pan boil some water with washing powder in it in the pan for a few minutes, it comes up like new.
I've used soap powder too :D
I clean/descale my kettle with a few inches of cheap spirit vinegar, flick the kettle on for a few seconds to warm it slightly & leave for half an hour, swill it around, pour it out (wipe the outside to get rid of scale drip marks if needed).
Rinse round after the vinegars poured away & Descaled kettle with no harsh chemicals :)
X

Last edited:
Spaghetti sticks are brilliant for lighting candles with, stops you getting burnt fingers. Just light the spaghetti on the hob and off You go. Saves buying matches, or a lighter. OK many Guinea pig people don't use candles.. But anyway

Baby oil is the best thing for cleaning stainless steel things. Such as a cooker extractor hood. Make sure you follow the grain of the steel, and wipe one way not in circles or back and forth

Not exactly a good idea, but when people jet wash their cars, they forget to do underneath, this cleand off all the salt and grit from winter time, this is what rotts your cars underneath

Back