• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The Incompetency Of Others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm just a little bit put out and feel the need to vent a little; hope you don't mind!

I need to go into university the other day to collect an item that is vital for my dissertation. When I got to reception, the woman there seemed to have no clue as to what was going on, saying that my delivery was unlikely to be there as it arrived the week before. There were a load of deliveries just behind her, I really, really need this, can she please just have a look? So she goes over and sort of glances at the boxes and comes back to tell me it's not there, no she has no idea where it is or what has happened to it. She tells me I need to contact the person who told me I could collect it from reception.

So I head over to their office. It's empty. So I send some e-mails. I make some phone calls. No response. I have no idea who else to try and contact, because reception apparently having got the faintest of what is going on in their building.

After a couple of days of serious stressing and panicking (I'm already at breaking point over this dissertation) and getting no where, I decide to contact reception again, even if only to find out who else I should contact. I speak to some one else this time, explain the situation and... She finds it. It's right there. Like, no problem, no having to spend several minutes explaining what it is, who I am, what I want, showing e-mails. I just say I have a delivery, this is my name and she locates it.

Seriously, what the-?! How did the first person I spoke to the other day not manage to find this parcel, that was clearly not hidden away or moved by anyone and was still waiting at reception? So that's a load of stress and upset over some one just not looking.

Later I received a response to the e-mail I sent, from the guy who confirmed delivery. He said that it was definitely in reception, clearly labelled with my name and he had no idea why reception couldn't locate it.

Urgh! Pretty annoyed right now! I thought the university was being incompetent losing things and keeping track, but it turns out it's just that one person who didn't actually do their job properly.

Ah well. At least I have it now!

Disgraceful!

I must admit that I'm a bit of a serial complainer. I get called all sorts by friends for complaining, but I'm not one to let peer pressure make me accept substandard service.

I mean really?.......a receptionist who is there to offer help and assistance, not offering help and assistance. You did really well not losing your patience.

I would send an email expressing your concerns. Explain things politely then say how disappointed you were with the service you received and the unnecessary stress the receptionist's actions (or lack of action!) caused. Then finish with how this fell way below the service expected and that you have highlighted your concerns so that it can be addressed and not happen again to someone else in the future.

I love venting off! Lol

Hope you feel better for it too!

Quite agree with @GordyC . I'm one who always writes a formal letter of complaint against bad service. Sometimes it gets ignored & sometimes it gets replied to thanking me for bringing it to their attention. And occasionally I get free things as a thank you. But really what keeps me doing this is that some people obviously pay attention to complaints & try to sort things out.

I feel you should complain about this. Put it in writing just stating facts and dates. I usually let things slide and then don't complain, but having put 3 young adults through university I know how much you pay for what after all is a service these days and you should be getting all the help you need.

That is disgraceful behaviour! I don't know how you kept your cool, think I would have exploded at the receptionist.

I would definitely complain, she souns like she needs more training, or possibly a job where she doesn't have to interact with people.

When I finished uni I had trouble with the estate agents, the receptionists there was horrible. It was all about some keys that one of my ex housemates had left hidden under a load of stuff on a shelf in her room when she moved out. I received emails demanding I tell them where I had left the keys or they would charge me for replacement locks, I phoned them to be laughed at down the phone, called a liar etc. In the end I got mum to phone as I was losing my patience with them and the woman wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. I still wish I had complained about her, I had copies of emails received/sent, times and dates of phonecalls, the time and date I handed my keys in, even the name of the man I handed them to! I was too angry at the time to write a proper complaint letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back