the miracle of Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What a Christmas my colleague's family had! Her brother's partner fell ill suddenly with very bad stomach pains on Christmas Day. She was rushed to hospital with suspected apendicitis. Upon further examination, it turned out shhe was in labour! the only trouble is that she didin't know that she was pregnant! No one had noticed anything different about her...

Baby was slightly prem and on the petite side but mum and baby are now doing well.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Whoa! How can you not know you're pregnant .. oh dear! Hope she and babie continue to do well x

makeeachdaycount

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Its surprisingly common actually - to go in to labour and not know you're pregnant. The baby sits against the spine and periods continue as normal. When I worked in M othercare years ago I had a family come rushing in last thing at night who needed to buy absolutely everything as the girlfirend had had a baby and didnt know she was pregnant. And she was one of five who were on the ward that it had happened to! I now do a pregnancy test every couple of months just in case!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, WOW! What a Christmas surprise indeed! And good to know that the baby is OK!

vicky1804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wow what a surprise. Iv heard about this happening too. Like people going to the loo with a tummy ache opps out pops a baby. Strange isnt it.
Not exactly the same but my mam didnt find out she was having my little sis till she was 5 1/2 months gone, 6 weeks later she was born prem and now at nearly 15 torments me as much as she can! lol

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've heard of this before too! Glad mom and baby are doing well, what a surprise!:))

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh my god! Congratulations to her. What a lovely surprise...if a little unexpected. I hope mum and baby are doing ok :).

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Gosh, I have a friend who only found out at 34 weeks, but your friend must have had such a shock. xx

Cat&ThePiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wow that must have been such a shock. Glad to hear both mother and baby are doing well.

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Gosh, I have a friend who only found out at 34 weeks, but your friend must have had such a shock. xx

baby was born at 35 weeks gestation... even your friend wouldn't have had much time to prepare!

I know that is it more common than you might think... I watched a prgm about it once, not so long ago, and a lot of pregnancy-related signs seem to be psychological: you know you're pregnant so every little twinge in your body is interpreted through the pregnancy barometer! In the prgm, they said that it's not that they had NO symptoms, they just misinterpreted them.... a bit like if you're desperate to be pregnant you think your body tells you something but the stick still says NOT pregnant! :(
Concerning the weight gain, my theory is that if you don't know you're eating for 2, you just don't and you might even try to lose some extra pounds... Also, baby will literally eat your reserves, so as you lose that, baby gains = no real weight gain... As soon as I knew I was pregnant a switch was turned in my head... the one that says FFED ME NOW, MORE, MORE MORE, C'MON WOOMAN, MOOOOORE FOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Jane, as you know, I never found the off position for that switch :(

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
baby was born at 35 weeks gestation... even your friend wouldn't have had much time to prepare!

I know that is it more common than you might think... I watched a prgm about it once, not so long ago, and a lot of pregnancy-related signs seem to be psychological: you know you're pregnant so every little twinge in your body is interpreted through the pregnancy barometer! In the prgm, they said that it's not that they had NO symptoms, they just misinterpreted them.... a bit like if you're desperate to be pregnant you think your body tells you something but the stick still says NOT pregnant! :(
Concerning the weight gain, my theory is that if you don't know you're eating for 2, you just don't and you might even try to lose some extra pounds... Also, baby will literally eat your reserves, so as you lose that, baby gains = no real weight gain... As soon as I knew I was pregnant a switch was turned in my head... the one that says FFED ME NOW, MORE, MORE MORE, C'MON WOOMAN, MOOOOORE FOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Jane, as you know, I never found the off position for that switch :(

god i must have been preggars for years!! :))

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Brilliant story!

I'm one of them, I went for my dating scan at around 12 weeks pregnant only to be told I was 23 weeks. So I had spent 18 weeks not knowing. No weight gain, no sickness, had periods for 2 out of the 4 months.

It's much easier to skip a couple of trimesters :))

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Brilliant story!

I'm one of them, I went for my dating scan at around 12 weeks pregnant only to be told I was 23 weeks. So I had spent 18 weeks not knowing. No weight gain, no sickness, had periods for 2 out of the 4 months.

lol

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Brilliant story!

Sounds like it- I hated the first 12 weeks with both of mine :)

My ex boyfriend's girlfriend went into labour without knowing she was pregnant- she thought she'd had a dodgy curry then started bleeding! When they told him at the hospital they thought she was pregnant he presumed they meant early on and possibly miscarrying, then an hour later they had a 7lb baby boy!

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
so maybe the old myth about spicy food is true?

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
so maybe the old myth about spicy food is true?

not for me though- I used to eat whole jars of jalepenos with my son, mustard on crackers etc, anything that was really hot- he still had to be extracted by c-section 2 weeks late as I didn't labour!

What a lovely story though, surprise babies like that must be amazing- scary, but still wonderful x)x)

Status
Not open for further replies.