• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

The need to Check and clean a boars penis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Many of us on the forums are owned by male Guinea pigs, Boars if you will.

Now how many of us check our Guinea pigs on a daily/weekly basis for health issues, cuts, scrapes and such?

Now how many of us check our boars penis?

Finally how many of us clean our boars manly bits?

It is very important to check your boars penis on a regular basis as hay/grass and bedding can often get caught and entangled around a boars penis. Hair is another nasty thing to check for. Having 13 boars and two bucks i feel i am forever checking and cleaning their manly bits, but i wouldnt change it for the world.

Granted its not a nice thing to have to do but i would rather a penis looks like this

march2010load10008.jpg

Instead of this.....

Hammer

Picture2028.jpg

Ben

march2010load1024.jpg

Max

Max2.jpg

The first picture is of Max after being here a while, with a healthy looking penis.

The secound picture is of hammer, he has a very very sore penis, to cure this problem i bottom bathed him in warm salt water twice a day for 7 days, applying bepanthen cream 3 times a day.

The third is of Ben, he is the worst case ive ever had, his penis was so sore and so infected that it was already visable and had been dragging on the floor. You can see his forskin crinkled up and the white substance is clearly visable. It took a while to clean him and he was in alot of pain, he was given bottom baths with warm salt water for 7 days and bepanthen cream 5 times a day. He was also on babys neurofen for his pain. He now has whats known as cauliflower willy.

The fourth is of Max, he was in the same group rescue as ben, unfortunatly he has a few other problems so will be a perm here. He had bottom baths twice a day for 7 days and bepanthan cream twice daily.

To clean the penis you need to fully extrude the penis and check for any hair's, hay or white paste like substance. It may be an idea to rub the substance between your fingers to check if it is gritty, if it is this could be a sign of bladder stones and should be checked over by a qualified, competent vet

Even if the penis looks clean it wont hurt your piggy to have a bottom bath in warm salty water every now and then, it will clean away all the hiding nastys from the penis. You will need to support your piggy with his bottom in the water with his penis fully extruded, gently rub the penis to clean him. You may need a third hand so ask sombody responsable to help with this.

thanks for this post, having just brought my first boar home I knew this job was around the corner. I definitely needed the pictures and instructions to know what to look out for. I'll check him over this weekend, not looking forward to it much but it is very much needed as I certainly don't want him to get a sore willy!

I could never have opened this at work! :red:(|)

How do you get it out?! :...:red

They already hate me from their bath and trim session, now I am about to violate them! :o

Have you pmed the mods to turn this thread into a sticky?

I could never have opened this at work! :red:(|)

How do you get it out?! :...:red

They already hate me from their bath and trim session, now I am about to violate them! :o

I knew there would be somthing i forgot to put! To get it out gently press above his penis, some times you need to try a few times for them to
co-operate

Those look like some very sore little man parts! Poor guys. My parents and brother think I'm nuts when i sit cleaning my lad's bits for them.

Hoggle & Ludo, if you push gently just above where the penis is located like in the first picture it will pop out. Ive sound some boars bits are nestled a bit more deeply than others so need a bit more pursation. You can use one or two fingers. Infact i think thats in important thing to know as ive found the boars who willys are closer to the surface are far more prone to getting things stuck on it.

I've got a question for someone knowledgable on boars bits! Tiger has had his sticking out since I got him neutered it is permantely out. I do clean from time to time (maybe once a week and pull out (gentley) hairs and hay. Is this normal or not? Have I to try the bathing and bapanthen to see if it will go back in? he doesn't seem that bothered by it though!

I've never had a neutered boar so i dont know if its a side effect of that. it is possible to ease them back in if you lubricate it, if it wont go back in maybe it's a prolapse? I've looked after a hamster with a prolapsed penis before and he just needed it cleaned and have cream put on it daily. After a while it didnt really borther him.

Personally i wouldnt. If your worried about your hands being icky wear gloves, but you would need to check with your fingers if its white stuff.

Do it in warm salty water, it wont hurt them.

so glad I only have 2 boys :red

have to confess that i'm quite complacent. all my cavies are handled and given a thorough visual check about twice a week - but i've never checked that thoroughly! Will do tomorrow - hope they forgive me

don't forget to part the scrotum and look in and clean around their anus. they can collect some really manky stuff in there too! :x:{

Last edited:
The white paste is smegma. In healthy animals it helps to clean & lubricate the genitals & is a normal secretion. It does not necessarily mean an infection is present however the smegma can be washed off using clean warm water; no soap should be used.

All my boys have smegma around their penises to some degree; none have inflammation or sores & i choose to leave them be. I do however remove any other debris that may have collected.

Hmm I think I might try the warm water treatment later this evening and see what happens! I'll keep you posted! if it doesn't go back in I'll try taking some photos (i'm sure he'll love that :)) )

Ive two neutured boars, i didnt get them done myself. Both had issues but are fine now penis wise anyway. How long has he been this way? i would be concernd if it doesnt go back in. Some take longer than others to go in. IF it carrys on and the bathing/cream doesnt help in a couple of days i would take him back to the vets.

he's been neutered since june 09 - I never thought it was an issue and was just the way he was! I will have a proper look at him later and maybe take a "before" and after snap. Maybe it is just the way he is I don't really know but I'll keep you updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back