The Thorpe Affair - and Its Effects on LGBT History

D

DM090820

You'll probably all be aware of the case that came before the Central Criminal Court (the Old Bailey).
Jeremy Thorpe, the leader of the Liberal Party (and touted future Prime Minister) was accused of hiring hitmen to kill his former lover, Norman Scott.
Scott was certainly a bit frenetic - and he continues to claim he only ever wanted his National Insurance Card back from Thorpe. In actuality, the hitman missed Scott and killed his dog.

The trial was an early media sensation - and the judge's summing up goes down in legal history as possibly one of the most flagrant miscarriages in English legal history. Peter Cook's performance, the day after the trial, despite being farce, is not exactly far from the actual direction the judge gave the jury. Rest assured Thorpe was guilty of the offence he was charged with, the evidence is clear.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Well, you learn something new every day! Thank you!

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I lived through those times. (I was only a babby). I remember the case being splashed across the News of the World.
I never want to have to face British Justice as it is far from perfect in many ways.
Remember Carl Beech and his abuse allegations, that was only 5 yrs ago that has ruined many lives.

D

DM090820

:) Yes, there have been a few inexplicable clangers in contentious areas. One thing I always find hilarious is that the intelligence services are subject to the law, no-one with the exception of the Queen is above the law - they have to write down all the laws they think they've broken once a year, and a judge that they select then writes a classified report to the PM to say whether he thinks it was appropriate to break the law in those circumstances.

The Beech thing was always obviously false, the SIO literally made me facepalm when he said 'we believe them ... to be credible and true', that's so obviously gross misconduct in a public office, it's not the role of the police the believe or disbelieve anyone, merely to gather evidence. The SIO was doing what is depressingly common in high profile cases, where they nail their colours to the mast and are guranteed a career defining promotion, providing it doesn't turn out to be a crock. It's why the Met have annually been on jaunts to Portugal for the past 13 years, every time the SIO insists that we'll find her this time, and every time they fail. They'd love to actually find out what happened, they may make commissioner one day.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I remember Jeremy Thorpe! It was quite a revelation when it all came out!