• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

The Uk Vs Australia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizi

Adult Guinea Pig
This is not going to be a battle :P I just want to know some words that are spelled differently in the UK. I'll spell them how we spell them here and you can do it how you spell it over there :)

Favourite Scissors
Night Money
Bucket
Pillow

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'll find a lot of the words are spelt the same as a lot of your ancestors were forcibly sent there from Britain! :lol!:

Melanie07

Junior Guinea Pig
I think the biggest difference in spelling and vocabulary is with the US. I'm sure there are some differences with Australia too though, I just can't think of any at the moment!

Nicola_

Adult Guinea Pig
Do you (UK) spell it Mum or Mom? Because I know that that's how the Americans spell it but i have a British friend and she spells it Mom.

This is one of my pet peeves at the moment - the correct spelling in the UK is Mum, which is in line with our pronunciation. However, more and more people are using the spelling Mom which is just really annoying when it's someone you know fine well doesn't use that pronunciation!

Tauriel

Junior Guinea Pig
This is one of my pet peeves at the moment - the correct spelling in the UK is Mum, which is in line with our pronunciation. However, more and more people are using the spelling Mom which is just really annoying when it's someone you know fine well doesn't use that pronunciation!
Wow that's got to be annoying! What ever happened to continuity!? xD

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Yes Australia and UK should have the same spellings. When the travellers went and stole the land from the native Americans they wanted to appear a separate country and one way of getting their own identity was to sodomise the English language with the likes of favorite, color, etc etc

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Blame the US for their bad spelling of favourite!
Yes, they seem to have dropped the "you" out of every word having "ou" in it. Ten there is "z" for everywhere we would put an "s". How about license for licence, what's wrong with 2 "c"s! My all time favourite bugaboo "tire" for "tyre"!

Status
Not open for further replies.