There Is A Stigmatizism Against Rats!

jayjayb_00

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
"It's obvious why! Because undomesticated rats are dirty, sewer rats that are overcome with diseases."

But have we ever asked ourselves why? If any are religious (as I am), God created us to be happy but our first assignment was to care for the animals! How can we do so when we create horrible environments for all animals? Animal cruelty is so prevalent and cruelty can come in many ways.

Why are rats dirty? Why do they have diseases? It's because of the waste we cause. Yes, they are zootropic diseases. But where do those disease came from? Bacteria, bacteria from disgusting environments. They live in sewers, covered in our bodily and food waste.

We get upset when they eat our food. But what can we expect, they are starving in their environment which is not suitable for them. We get upset when they lash out. But what can we expect, they are afraid and wild animals, trying to survive!

I agree that measures should be taken to protect ourselves and our families' health and safety, but after that can we try to be more compassionate and care for animals a little more, even if they are wild animals?

(Sorry about my rant, I have been brewing on this a while.)

Kylie80

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some people today can't even be compassionate and care for other humans, what chance have they got of caring for animals :(

jayjayb_00

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some people today can't even be compassionate and care for other humans, what chance have they got of caring for animals :(
That's very true. I'm lucky to have a hope where all badness will be done away with. :D

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
"It's obvious why! Because undomesticated rats are dirty, sewer rats that are overcome with diseases."

But have we ever asked ourselves why? If any are religious (as I am), God created us to be happy but our first assignment was to care for the animals! How can we do so when we create horrible environments for all animals? Animal cruelty is so prevalent and cruelty can come in many ways.

Why are rats dirty? Why do they have diseases? It's because of the waste we cause. Yes, they are zootropic diseases. But where do those disease came from? Bacteria, bacteria from disgusting environments. They live in sewers, covered in our bodily and food waste.

We get upset when they eat our food. But what can we expect, they are starving in their environment which is not suitable for them. We get upset when they lash out. But what can we expect, they are afraid and wild animals, trying to survive!

I agree that measures should be taken to protect ourselves and our families' health and safety, but after that can we try to be more compassionate and care for animals a little more, even if they are wild animals?

Yes there is a lot of negativity over wild rats which spreads into the domesticated variations of the species. Domestic rats usually get a bad rap from people who are not educated on the subject and think all rats are sewer rats.

But if you think the sewer rats have a tough life, I think the lab rats are far more unfortunate. The laboratory strain known as the “zucker rat” is a man made cruelty all on its own.

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's such a shame, I love tatties and miss having them. I tell people how amazing they are at every chance!
No need to miss furry potatoes, you have some! But yes I know you meant ratties and auto correct rebeled and converted your sentace back to guinea pigs :D.

But yes rats are amazing fun, the only downside is the short lifespans.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
No need to miss furry potatoes, you have some! But yes I know you meant ratties and auto correct rebeled and converted your sentace back to guinea pigs :D.

But yes rats are amazing fun, the only downside is the short lifespans.
I do love my piggies. No auto correct though, I call ratties tatties lol!

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Rightly said! I’ve always found domesticated rats really appealing as pets and have actually been wanting to keep them for a while. On the other hand my mother is very uneducated on the subject and whenever we have to go to pets at home always makes a comment about the rats. This usually ticks me off!
Now I’ve have a rant - sorry

jayjayb_00

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rightly said! I’ve always found domesticated rats really appealing as pets and have actually been wanting to keep them for a while. On the other hand my mother is very uneducated on the subject and whenever we have to go to pets at home always makes a comment about the rats. This usually ticks me off!
Now I’ve have a rant - sorry
No, rightly said! My mother and friends act the same way. They are very sweet animals and intelligent.

jayjayb_00

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes there is a lot of negativity over wild rats which spreads into the domesticated variations of the species. Domestic rats usually get a bad rap from people who are not educated on the subject and think all rats are sewer rats.

But if you think the sewer rats have a tough life, I think the lab rats are far more unfortunate. The laboratory strain known as the “zucker rat” is a man made cruelty all on its own.
I had to research 'zucker rats' to see what you meant by that. I had never realized .. Animal testing is another monstrosity that humankind created. I feel so bad for animals..:no::no: