They had a fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've had my boys for 6 weeks and theres always been a certain amount of rumbling and chasing but that was it, but last night when I got them both out for floor time they started rumbling and chattering and showing their teeth and being quite aggressive, so I got in the pen with them thinking it might calm them down. Unfortunately one of the guys,(the biggest, supposedly dominant one), hid under my leg and my little guy launched himself through the air at him and hit my leg and bit me instead.
Anyway, here's my question, I separated them for a while and then put them back together later on and they were fine so I've left them together but every hint of a rumble and I'm panicking that they'll be at it again. Do you think it was just a blip in their relationship? or should I be ready to seaparate them?

Reaction score
:-\Sorry I cant help with this but am hoping someone will reply as I have 2 6 week old boars not fighting yet but it has concerned me.

Reaction score
it could just be the dominant one trying to show whos boss and the more shy one is thinking not out here as well your not it might blow over but you really need to be watching them very carefully any time they are together then you need to be watching them, if it was just when run about time the quiter one could be intilling his dominance as if to say dont forget i'm boss out here,
when in the hutch together if they are ok then leave them but you really need to be watching for any blood from wounds they hide them well,
in the hutch and run always keep 2 of everything so they have no need to argue and always always leave hidey holes for them, let us know whats happeing I'm sure others will let you know a few more tips soon,

P

piglover

Yep as Michelle says you need to keep an eye on them - if they draw blood thats it! But it could be that the little one's had enough and is trying to assert himself in which case they need a chance to sort it out amongst themselves. I have the same troubles as I said before it was my youngest one that was doing all the rumbling etc but he is actually bigger than the other one who's older! and now the little one has started to assert himself! From what I've seen with my other boys in the past if its a "tit for tat" thing, i.e., taking it in turns it usually turns out ok (in my personal experience with boys), but if its one persistantly turning on the other then it may end in tears. You just have to keep an eye on them and stand by with the water spray! Try cuddling them together on your lap too that helps them.

Mine usually have a mad 5 mins after I've cleaned them out and out in new hay it makes them go wild! But I just stay and watch them whilst they do it.

C

cavykind

I' urg [colorr]xtrm caution hr :(

That souns lik mor than just a "spat" it souns as though thy mant ral businss hnc you unfortunatly gtting bittn.
I' b wary of placing thm in togthr as fights can brak out quickly an injuris can b svr.
Saly som boars just on't gt on, whatvr w try.
bviously if you wish to prsvr, thn that is your cision, an I'm sur you will b carful.
Having sn som truly nasty bits an abscsss from rscu boars coming in that hav bn fighting, I must b honst an say I rr on th si of caution :-\
I' [colorr]nvr lav guina pig boars to sort it out amomg thmslvs" It's a rcip for isastr, injury an a trip to th vts.

Goo luck whatvr you ci :)

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
P

piglover

[colorr]avykin:
I i say to kp an y on thm, an that I always watch my boys to mak sur that thy ar playing rathr than fighting. I hav kpt only boys for a long tim now an although I sai thy n to sort it out amongst thmslvs I finatly int man to lav thm to it! I too hav sm th wouns that vlop from fighting an hav witnss fighting but having only vr kpt boys hav quit a high succss rat with pairing. I fin that if bloo os not gt rawn thy usually sttl own.

I strss to you again I only vr hav th piggis bst intrsts at hart. it sms to m that you hav som prconciv ia that I ont rally car for my cavis proprly

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well, I've been keeping a close eye on my boys, they live in my study bedroom anyway and I'm working in there all day so I'm around all the time, but so far so good. They've settled back down to their regular rumbling, chasing routine. Their regular routine is, I think, a game to the youngest. He rumbles a bit to get Jacks attention then sprints off popcorning trying to get Jack to follow him. If he doesn't he runs back round and trys again. I'm hoping that he just pushed his luck too far the other day. I have a spare cage setup just in case I need one in a hurry. Will let you know if anything else develops. Thanks for all the advice

P

piglover

Thats it. As I said sometimes they are just playing, after all they are babies, but as you are finding out as time goes by you get to know and understand your piggies. I too always have a spare cage on standby - just incase..............!

Fingers crossed and good luck !

C

cavykind

Pleased to hear they have settled down, just keep a careful eye on them and watch you don't get nipped either :)
Hope they behave!

Barbara

Reaction score
Well, the boys have been agressive again toight during floor time, put a grid between them eventually, and because I have an exam tomorrow I don't have the time to sit with them constantly so I've separated them. They will hav to stay like that until tomorrow. I would like to try reintroducing them after my exam at some point. Any ideas how this would be best approached?

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I found that we had to separate Sully and Duke as Duke was the dominant one and gave Sully hell.
Once separated they were the best friends :) Even at play time they'd rumble strutt and carry on but that was it, so
they were meant to be separated, but had adjoining cages so talked constantly thru the cage, but not live together :(
Have another go, but don't be too stressed if they can't live together, maybe they also will be able to have a play time and not
get niggly. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.