They Just Won't Stop Squabbling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've had my piggies now for about three weeks (mum and her two daughters roughly 8 months and 4 months each), they've been getting on fine but yesterday I bought them a new cage as the other one was far too tiny and all they seem to do is fight and chase each other. One of the main reasons o got a bigger cage is so they had a bigger house to sleep in at night as one always ended up on the door step, however now whichever of the babies gets in first chases the other one off.

They've also started doing some funny bottom wriggiling thing and making some very strange noises.

Is this simply because they have new territory or is it likely to br more serious and mean they need splitting up? I worried they ate going to really hurt each other or worse still kill each other of left alone.

Any ideas?

Thank you. xx

Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this thread as yesterday I put both of my boys in to a big outdoor hutch (as they'd previously been in an inside cage) although my boys are around 8 weeks old they've been together for the past 3 weeks without any trouble.
I went to check on them yesterday roughly 4 hours after being put in to their new home and found blood on the bedding I looked at each guinea pig and found bite marks on their faces where they had attacked each other.
I cleaned their wounds and put some medicine stuff on them and put them back together in the hutch.
I checked again this morning and they seem fine all snuggled up to each other so I'm hoping that they are now ok with each other.
My brother had a similar problem about 6 weeks back and both of his male properly attacked each other (although they are older around 11 months) he has had to seperate them in to different cages.
My girls fight amongst themselves but always sort it out after a couple of hours it's kinda like they're showing who's the boss almost like a pecking order.
I hope they're all ok and sort it out xx
Hopefully someone will reply and say what to do so we both can sort out our piggy problems.

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I nearly seperated mine because of all the rumble strutting and hair pulling but wiebke on here said it sound's and look's much worse than it is and she was right, they all get on great now they know who's boss they have little bouts when in season so that's every few day's as i have 5 lol but nothing major. I've heard often if there's no blood don't seperate.

Reaction score
No blood at all. Have been watching them this morning and one if them has just turned into a total bully. Hopefully it will calm down in the next few hours!

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wibke knows a lot more about sows than I do, but I'd say that the new cage is probably the cause. Any big change like that means that the dominant one (female in this case) has to exert her dominance all over again. They're in a new "territory" if you like so new "rules" have to be laid down. I should think it will settle down after a period of squabbling.

Best of luck

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How old are the babies? It could be that they are just getting hormonal, or that one of them is on heat. Mine always get a bit grumpy when they are in season and the bum wiggling is also part of this. Could be an explanation. You're probably best off waiting for Wiebke to offer advice though, as hers is always very helpful :). Also having a hidey each will lessen the bullying :) Hope they sort themselves out soon.
Sorry I just realised you put how old they were in your original post :x

Reaction score
I think it's just that they are in a new place and are re-sorting their dominance order. I have had this with my 2 boys when they moved into a bigger C&C cage this week. The younger one (now about 5 months old) was chasing, mounting and chattering his teeth at the older boy and generally being a pain in the neck, but it calmed down after a couple of days and they are back to being happy together.

Keep an eye on things and hopefully they will calm down in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.