• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

They keep getting colds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lilgalnatalie

my piggies r always falling ill with the cold. they live in the garage, but theyre is no car there just a freezer, which does no harm becuase in the september when they came indoors it was too hot and they needed the fan on.
i keep moaning to my dad to bring them indoors.
it seems every week one is on medicence for it!
i really want to bring them indoors for the winter atleast until Febuary. But my dad says they smell and are too messy. i dont understand why. i thnik they are clean and if u keep theyre cage fresh it shouldnt. can someone give me any ideas on trying 2 keep them warm in the hutch?

C

cobweb

I kept pigs in outdoor hutches for years and they coped with the cold weather OK. A good quality weather proof hutch, kept in a sheltered spot out of drafts and lots of hay for them to burrow in and they'll be fine. Drape a cover over the front of the hutch at night to keep the heat in and they'll be OK. Guinea pigs are a lot tougher than people think.

Reaction score
sleepsacks made of fleece are good too, they usually are big enough for two of them to snuggle in there, and the fleece keeps them cosy and warm :)

Reaction score
I know you can buy a heat pad which goes into the microvave and then stays warm for 8 hours. It has a cosy cover to prevent the piggies from getting overheated but I never put mine in to heat for too long just to be on the safe side and I also put an extra soft cover over the top as well. I bought mine on e bay but I think they are cheaper from other reputable pet sites on the net. I know Bab loved his from the first night I put it in his hutch. He did live on his own though (much to my regret now) so he had no other piggies to cuddle into. I agree with you that if kept clean they do not usually smell especially in the winter months.Hope the piggies recover soon from their cold.

Reaction score
If you can get some old carpet and cover the hutch in it, will keep them warm. Add a bit more bedding too :)

Reaction score
You could do with getting some heating in there, maybe a thermostatically controlled electric raditor? Does your garage have light? You can get hutch covers on ebay... but if they keep on getting ill it might be worth trying to find room for them indoors.

Reaction score
tubular frost heaters are really good,we have one in ours

P

poodles

Although mine live in a shed, i always put a few sheets of news paper and a large towel over the top of thier beds in the hutch.

I also pull a thick blanket over the front of the hutch too.

such pampered piggies ;D !

Reaction score
poodles said:
Although mine live in a shed, i always put a few sheets of news paper and a large towel over the top of thier beds in the hutch.

dont forget the airholes ;)

P

poodles

Abnoba said:
poodles said:

dont forget the airholes ;)

i dont! i'm very careful with them. i can say none of my piggies have ever caught colds and live to be old :)

Status
Not open for further replies.