Thinking of adopting another piggy, your opinions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, I will firstly sum up my current piggy situation and stuff, forgive me if I ramble. I have 3 boars who are pretty much my life, I am 17 years old and study animal management at college but I can be shy and quiet sometimes. I have friends but since going to college and having to leave my old mates behind I find I don't fit in with my new group of friends, don't get me wrong, they are great people but we don't have a lot in common. They are loud and I'm not, they also like to drink, smoke and take drugs, things that I hate. That might make them sound horrible but they're not, they're kind and funny but have such a different outlook on life compared to me. I also get depressed a lot as well as suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, my pigs mean so much to me and really help me when I'm down in the dumps, I spend most of my time with them and sometimes I will much rather be with them than people!

My boars are a pair and a single. My pair Bradley and Barney live in an 8ft x 2.5ft run whilst my single boy Rodney lives in a 2 tier corner cage from zooplus. Frankly they get spoilt rotten but they deserve it because they help me in so many ways though they are rapidly taking over my bedroom, something I don't mind :)) As well as their cages I have a run that is over 120cm long by 2ft something wide, not huge I know but it's somewhere they go for a play, somewhere a bit different. I also have a spare cage that is going empty.

Financially I know I have the money for another piggy and I definately have the time, I almost came home with another piggy from Pets at Home today (such a small baby sow and being bullied by the others) but I stood firm because I know that if I bought her another piggy would replace her in store and also because she might have been riddled with health problems and such due to the place she most probably came from.

When I went to pick up Rodney in October there was another piggy there that reallu tugged at my heartstrings and it was either him or Rodney, obviously I chose Rodney but I have found out that the other pig is still in rescue. He came in to the rescue in August 2010 so has been in rescue for 8 months. He's an pure black crested boar called Houdini who is a bit of a lunatic, he came in due to attacking his cage mates (resulted in one getting a mangled ear and the other a split lip) then he escaped and managed to get into another piggy cage where he tried to attack the others. When I met him he was hyperactive and skittish and I know a lot of people are put off my pigs who are aggressive to others because they fear they might be aggressive to people. I know this is not always true as my single boar who hates other pigs with a passion is a complete softy with people. It just saddens me that Houdini has been in rescue so long just because he's a so called "problem piggy." So if I was to get another I would definately think about getting him.

Link to his ad: http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/moreinfo.asp?GpigID=5926

Then there's a sow from the same rescue who I have seen advertised, she's another bully and is aggressive to other piggies. I would love to have a sow but would my boars be able to smell her and go crazy? Bertha's such a cutie and has been waiting for a home since January so will be coming up for around 18 months - 2 years old.

http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/moreinfo.asp?GpigID=6447

Wow I have rambled such a lot, I apologise and hope you don't mind! I would just like to ask your opinions on the whole situation, about what I should do etc. Thanks for reading! :)

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah why not :) It'd be nice to get a friend for your single boar, and you've obviously thought it through and can look after another and have the space so I say go for it :)

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
its clear you have put a lot of thought it to it go for it :))

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
that was meant t be a smile opps sorry

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you are aware that neither of those piggies might get on with Rodney. It is great, though, that you are thinking about taking on a piggy with a problem. If you can keep Houdini next door to Rodney for company and the rescue is OK with that, why not?

Difficult sows are usually not any more charitable towards neutered boars than they are with other sows; we have had several bondings with sows like Bertha fail spectacularly on here. With a girl, you would also have the problem that her presence may upset your other boy pair.

I am sorry about your problems. I was very much an outsider during school, but was lucky enough to become part of a tight knit group at university and those friendships have stood the test of time. However, drink and drugs was not the problem 25 years ago that it is today. I would have problems with that as well!

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! :)

Rodney will be staying as a single as he is extremely happy on his lonesome, I think it's because he doesn't have to share his things and he gets his own bachelour pad! If I adopt another piggy he/she will be next door to Rodney but not in the same cage as him and he/she will be a single too. This is mainly due to the fact that I know many single aggressive piggies do not find homes easily and I know how loving they can be. I was thinking about getting Rodney neutered but as he is so happy on his own I don't think that having a friend (even a lady one) will be that benificial to him and I don't want the risk of an operation if it's not necessary. I think with some gentle persuasion my dad will say yes as I pay for everything of the pig's myself anyway.

threelittlepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you thought of adopting from Tameside:

www.tamesiderabbitandguineapigrescue.info

I know that they have a lot of pigs up for adoption right now. The other thing I would say is that you need to be sure that your personal circumstances are not going to change in the next 4 or so years so that you can guarantee your new arrival a permanent home.

Reaction score
Ok, I will firstly sum up my current piggy situation and stuff, forgive me if I ramble. I have 3 boars who are pretty much my life, I am 17 years old and study animal management at college but I can be shy and quiet sometimes. I have friends but since going to college and having to leave my old mates behind I find I don't fit in with my new group of friends, don't get me wrong, they are great people but we don't have a lot in common. They are loud and I'm not, they also like to drink, smoke and take drugs, things that I hate. That might make them sound horrible but they're not, they're kind and funny but have such a different outlook on life compared to me. I also get depressed a lot as well as suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, my pigs mean so much to me and really help me when I'm down in the dumps, I spend most of my time with them and sometimes I will much rather be with them than people!

My boars are a pair and a single. My pair Bradley and Barney live in an 8ft x 2.5ft run whilst my single boy Rodney lives in a 2 tier corner cage from zooplus. Frankly they get spoilt rotten but they deserve it because they help me in so many ways though they are rapidly taking over my bedroom, something I don't mind :)) As well as their cages I have a run that is over 120cm long by 2ft something wide, not huge I know but it's somewhere they go for a play, somewhere a bit different. I also have a spare cage that is going empty.

Financially I know I have the money for another piggy and I definately have the time, I almost came home with another piggy from Pets at Home today (such a small baby sow and being bullied by the others) but I stood firm because I know that if I bought her another piggy would replace her in store and also because she might have been riddled with health problems and such due to the place she most probably came from.

When I went to pick up Rodney in October there was another piggy there that reallu tugged at my heartstrings and it was either him or Rodney, obviously I chose Rodney but I have found out that the other pig is still in rescue. He came in to the rescue in August 2010 so has been in rescue for 8 months. He's an pure black crested boar called Houdini who is a bit of a lunatic, he came in due to attacking his cage mates (resulted in one getting a mangled ear and the other a split lip) then he escaped and managed to get into another piggy cage where he tried to attack the others. When I met him he was hyperactive and skittish and I know a lot of people are put off my pigs who are aggressive to others because they fear they might be aggressive to people. I know this is not always true as my single boar who hates other pigs with a passion is a complete softy with people. It just saddens me that Houdini has been in rescue so long just because he's a so called "problem piggy." So if I was to get another I would definately think about getting him.

Link to his ad: http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/moreinfo.asp?GpigID=5926

Then there's a sow from the same rescue who I have seen advertised, she's another bully and is aggressive to other piggies. I would love to have a sow but would my boars be able to smell her and go crazy? Bertha's such a cutie and has been waiting for a home since January so will be coming up for around 18 months - 2 years old.

http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/moreinfo.asp?GpigID=6447

Wow I have rambled such a lot, I apologise and hope you don't mind! I would just like to ask your opinions on the whole situation, about what I should do etc. Thanks for reading! :)

I know the pig you are refering to! from cavy haven right? you know she breeds on the sly yes?

Reaction score
My 3 boys came from Cavy Haven and I am not going to start an argument but in my heart of hearts I know that Irene loves her pigs and does her best for them. She rescues pigs from auctions that would of gone for snake food! I am not 100% sure but I do believe that nearly all of her breeding now is seperate from the rescues, mostly her Lunkaryas and the like. She doesn't breed for financial gain, any money she makes goes into looking after her rescue pigs. It is only the same as people on here buying from pet shops really as that is still supporting breeding. At the end of the day if pigs weren't bred we wouldn't have any, I don't think I can leave Houdini there, he's been there 8 months of his life and I know I can give him a better home. Once again, not intended to start an argument.

Reaction score
i got my Terry from there. she told me he was unwanted "i dont understand why he's been here for so long". Turned out he was there for so long because she was breeding from him. Not impressed with being lied to!

Reaction score
My 3 boys came from Cavy Haven and I am not going to start an argument but in my heart of hearts I know that Irene loves her pigs and does her best for them. She rescues pigs from auctions that would of gone for snake food! I am not 100% sure but I do believe that nearly all of her breeding now is seperate from the rescues, mostly her Lunkaryas and the like. She doesn't breed for financial gain, any money she makes goes into looking after her rescue pigs. It is only the same as people on here buying from pet shops really as that is still supporting breeding. At the end of the day if pigs weren't bred we wouldn't have any, I don't think I can leave Houdini there, he's been there 8 months of his life and I know I can give him a better home. Once again, not intended to start an argument.

Wrong she was advertising lunkys for adoption a while ago. Yes she looks after them yes some of them arte genuine rescues (two of my mums girls were from her rescued from an auction) i dont like the fact she lied to my face. She's not being upfront about what she's doing . It's very deceptive and dishonest!I for one will NOT be going back there.

*bows out*

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wrong she was advertising lunkys for adoption a while ago. Yes she looks after them yes some of them arte genuine rescues (two of my mums girls were from her rescued from an auction) i dont like the fact she lied to my face. She's not being upfront about what she's doing . It's very deceptive! I for one will NOT be going back there.

I have always known her to be very open about her breeding, I am sorry that you got lied to.

Reaction score
Back to the thread anyway! If you have the room etc go for it! Ive been eyeing him myself for ages (that naughty little face!) AND rodney :p but for obv reasons i wont go there! so now you have to :)

Reaction score
It's either Houdini or Bertha, I am torn! Do you think that the smell of a sow would rile my boars up? I don't want them to begin fighting. Awww if you saw my Rodney you would definately fall in love with him, he comes right up to people for a fuss and a stroke. x)

Reaction score
It's either Houdini or Bertha, I am torn! Do you think that the smell of a sow would rile my boars up? I don't want them to begin fighting. Awww if you saw my Rodney you would definately fall in love with him, he comes right up to people for a fuss and a stroke. x)

Did rodney used to be called maskie?! yeah i think having girlies about may upset the pair. I have 3 of each but the boys are all lone pigs!

ghostbusterbunny

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You've obviously thought about this a LOT, so I'd say go for it if he's the one you really want! The breeding aspect of the 'rescue' I definitely don't agree with but you'd be giving an otherwise forever home-less piggie his forever home! He's too cute.

I definitely would take TLP's comment about circumstances a good thinking over, if you're going to be off to uni in a couple of years (if you want to go, that is!) then you need to think about your piggies! :)

EDIT: If you were to get the sow, I wouldn't keep them in the same room, the smell of her would most likely lead to fighting between your boars. You're safer with another boar if you're keeping them all in your room!

Reaction score
Rodney was known as Bully Boy before we got him, I'm sure you can guess why! :))

Definately no uni for me, the thought of being away from home makes me shudder. :/

I think it will be Houdini, I fell in love with him back in October. :)

Reaction score
I don't know loads about piggies as I still feel like I'm new to this, but I have 2 pairs of boars and would be very, very reluctant to have a sow in the same room as the boys in case the smell of her made them all go a bit doolally - but that's just me.

ghostbusterbunny

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rodney was known as Bully Boy before we got him, I'm sure you can guess why! :))

Definately no uni for me, the thought of being away from home makes me shudder. :/

I think it will be Houdini, I fell in love with him back in October. :)

Lol, it did, and still does, for me too! Luckily for me my uni is only an hour away so I could live at home and travel if I wanted. I chose to live on campus though, but I have the chance to come home as often as I want/need. On a side topic though, don't let living away from home stop you going to a uni, especially if you can go to one close to home! :)

Houdini is gorgeous, go get him! x)

Status
Not open for further replies.