Timid/shy piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Do they ever get better or are some piggies just more nervous than others? Basil has settled in so well, comes out of the sleeping area when I call to him and will even lay down in the cage or lay down on the roof of the sleeping area and watch tv :(|)

Elvis, however, bless him is still so shy. He will come out for his food now more or less as soon as it goes in the cage, but other than that he spends most of his time in the sleeping area. I give him cuddles but you can tell he's anxious to get back in the cage and when they have floor time Basil will run round popcorning and acting like a looney but Elvis will find somewhere to hide under and just stay there. I feel so sad cos if he's not happy then i'm not happy 8...

Is there anything I can do or does he just need more time?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Give him time! Some piggies are much nore timid, but eventually, even they will come out of their shell; and it will be an extra precious moment for all that! Just be patient and persistent. Praise him lavishly all the time for every little achievement, make a little disappointed sound when he scuttles back. He'll catch on!

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my girls is still very timid and I've had her over a year, but the boy I got a couple of months ago has come on in leaps and bounds. From my limited experience the girls seem to be less willing to come around. I have 2 girls that are very timid, but the 2 boys are not at all any more. The other 2 girls I have aren't really that bothered, but they are dominant sows, so I suppose that has an effect.

I hope your little boy will come round with time and patience. Good luck x

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He may just need more time. They are also all unique, and he may just have a more cautious temperament than your other piggie. Our orginal pair was made up of two girls: Linney and Frenzy. Linney is a gigantic suck... Frenzy was always very 'tightly wound.' It's not that she wasn't friendly- she would sit on our knees, she was a very chatty pig, and generally a nice girl. Never aggressive, not bitey, always curious. However, she was never 'relaxed'- I never saw her sleep with eyes closed, she was always the first to tear off like a maniac at a sound or an unexpected touch... she was just a much more anxious piggie by nature than her cagemate.

Reaction score
I'm so happy, I know this probably isn't a big deal but Elvis was popcorning in the cage tonight for the FIRST time since i've had him.

I'm a happy mummy :<>

Sharon.Mackay

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ah thats great! My Dougal has only just atrted to relax last month, we have had them for 11 months. Something just seemed to click with him and now he is quite a rogue!

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
minty is a lot more timid than crystal and even now mintys daughter fudge is calming down quicker than her mum. Time and patience is the key, I do stand about the hutch quite often just watching them and talking to them, they are getting better and it happens it seems in stages.

Although they do spend a lot of time in their bedroom compartment but I am sure they will stop hiding so much as their confidence grows further.

Reaction score
Elvis spends alot of time in his sleeping area, but he's tolerating me more now sitting by the cage when he's eating. He used to run off as soon as I went anywhere near the cage. And last night he jumped on the top of the sleeping area and he actually let me stroke him, and he was quite happy for a few minutes before he decided to run off :))

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Fred I have had a year and 6 months now, and he's still timid granted he was horrific before.

He will take things from my hand, lick me if I pat his nose though the bars, but under no circumstanes may I pat his head in cage or pick him up.

He also stares from a distance, and runs when I walk over! Some pigs are just Silly, they don't know when they are onto a winner.

Hopefully your little one will come out there shell over! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.