• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tips for getting guinea pigs to exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanie07

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I let my guineas out for a run on the kitchen floor and put tubes and newspapers down, but they just sit there!
Does anyone have any tips to get them to run around a bit? Or at least move?
Thanks!

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try draping a fleece blanket or towel over tubes and boxes. They will most likely disappear underneath and burrow about. Mine love this. :)

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hide little pieces of fresh food around the play area they will move to find food lol

Reaction score
Hiding food sounds like a good idea. they seem to be able to smell it from quite a distance.

Is it too cold to have piggies outside at the moment? The piggies here always seem to go for a good run around and sniff when they go out on the grass.

Melanie07

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok thanks I'll try that!
I think it probably is a little too cold at the moment to put them outside, I'd probably wait a month or so for it to warm up a bit. And knowing my two, they'd just sit and eat the grass :P

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I feed my guinea pigs on the other side of the room away from where there cage is; that makes them walk at least four times daily!

Scatter food or call them to different sections of the kitchen to take a treat off your hands.

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Most piggies like a bit of stimulation. Some will respond to just calling them or, as my wife as found, scrathing the carpet...

Biscuit likes to be "chased" around by my finger/hand :)

Status
Not open for further replies.