• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tips on reducing itching from mites

HeatherW

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my poor piggies have managed to get mites for the fifth time since adopting them barely a year ago. :( They seem to get them when they've been stressed (I took them to my parents' house for Christmas) and may be more prone to it due to their hair type (super floofy!)

I'm treating them with a course of Ivermectin to get rid of the mites, but wanted to know if there's anything I can do to soothe their skin and reduce the itching?

Here's a photo of Jasmine's hair growing back after the last time. I like how it's made a heart shape!

IMG_20181014_115655.jpg

So my poor piggies have managed to get mites for the fifth time since adopting them barely a year ago. :( They seem to get them when they've been stressed (I took them to my parents' house for Christmas) and may be more prone to it due to their hair type (super floofy!)

I'm treating them with a course of Ivermectin to get rid of the mites, but wanted to know if there's anything I can do to soothe their skin and reduce the itching?

Here's a photo of Jasmine's hair growing back after the last time. I like how it's made a heart shape!

View attachment 104951

3 rounds of xeno 450 should do the trick. Yours obviously have got a reservoir of egg cases in the skin, which cannot be killed off by the ivermectin.

The first 48 hours after treatment tend to be worse as the mites in the skin are being killed off while the ivermectin is slowly absorbed during that span. After that, the discomfort should reduce noticeably and then gradually increase again (but not quite as bad as initially) coming up to the second round. Two days after the application of the second round, the itching should ideally subside. The third round is there to catch any stragglers.

Please do not apply any extra skin products if possible unless you are dealing with large open wounds; it can trigger fitting in vulnerable piggies. You can give a gentle bath some days after the last treatment to remove any dead skin cells from the mites outbreak.

I hope that that helps you?

3 rounds of xeno 450 should do the trick. Yours obviously have got a reservoir of egg cases in the skin, which cannot be killed off by the ivermectin.

The first 48 hours after treatment tend to be worse as the mites in the skin are being killed off while the ivermectin is slowly absorbed during that span. After that, the discomfort should reduce noticeably and then gradually increase again (but not quite as bad as initially) coming up to the second round. Two days after the application of the second round, the itching should ideally subside. The third round is there to catch any stragglers.

Please do not apply any extra skin products if possible unless you are dealing with large open wounds; it can trigger fitting in vulnerable piggies. You can give a gentle bath some days after the last treatment to remove any dead skin cells from the mites outbreak.

I hope that that helps you?

Yes, thanks! I've applied Xeno 450 already as instructed and haven't put anything else on their skin; I just wondered if there was anything else I could do to make them more comfortable. :)

Back