To Ferret or not to Ferret?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaireBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me and my other half have been discussing Ferrets a lot recently, we adore them they're so very cute and intelligent little things, like a lower maintenance doggy.

Anyone here have any Ferret wisdom for me?

I know they're smelly and they chew and Eddie (OH) thinks they'll eat our Guinea Pigs. Ive read a lot online about them but nothing beats real human experience, and I do like to do my research before I adopt.

Thanks x

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read a topic on here, her pet ferret attacked her guinea pigs, they were bleeding heavily...

cat

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have kept ferrets for about 10 years now.

my first ferret Boris lived until he was 12. clover was 6. they were both albino and both developed tumors so they were put to sleep. i think it is a genetic thing with albino ferrets.

my current ferret stoops is 6 and i am starting to get worried about him because he is getting older.

the thing you have to remember about ferrets is that they are all different. they all have their own personalities. clover for example could be trusted to wash your face and not bite. she used to sit on my boyfriends shoulder and groom his beard and he would have no problems with it. Stoops on the other hand couldn't be trusted in that way.

ferrets tend to calm down when they reach about 5 years old. i get mine vacinated everyyear against distemper and he is microchipped. most ferrets like going out for walks on leads. stoops doesn't like going outside he would rather play inside.

they can be very social animals. boris and clover lived together and when boris died clover got very upset so we got stoops. when clover died stoops didn't care so we kept him on his own and he is fine.

i don't understand why someone would let their ferret near their guinea pigs though, as it is very likely that they would attack as it is in their nature. i have 4 guinea pigs, 2 cats and 1 ferret.

before i got my ferrets (which were from the rspca) i bought a book and read about them first so i knew what i was doing.

hope this is useful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.