• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

To get Terry snipped or not to get Terry snipped!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
pondering gtting terry snipped. my tax rebate cheque is onn the way so the cost isnt an issue. thing is hes nearly 4 i know his age makes it more dangerous. last night i had the girlies out and rosie went over to him and started licking his face. i felt really bad cos i couldnt let him out :( when i was in bed i could hear them talking to each other. ~The "rescue" he was from used him for breeding so i feel a bit like ive put him in a worse situation than he was in to begin with! there he had access to girlies here he hasnt. what do we think?

Reaction score
I would get him done if I were you. He will be a happier piggy once he can have a wife or 2 or 3....

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I would take him to your vet for a thorough health check and get them to discuss the risks and his age etc as to whether they think it will be more risky than for a younger boar. If you have a cavvy savvy vet of course

Reaction score
Ive already spoke to my vet about it when i went with him last time. She has done it loads of times and not had any deaths. She said it's £50. I'm pondering eiter putting him with rosie and pixie or pair him with emily (who has always been on her own) i figure it will pair two up and i can let him have floor time with the other girlies.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I think if your vet seems to think he isn't at risk due to age or any other health problems then go for it. It might just save him and Emily from spending the rest of their lives alone

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Lady Kelly; if you have a good vet you trust, talk it over with him. Older boys tend to heal more slowly and the risk of complications is a bit higher than with youngsters who are still growing.

Otherwise, you could try to contact Rugby RNGP Welfare; they spay any sows they get in as a matter of policy and are prepared to rehome further afield; Rugby is on the line down to London/just off the M6. There may be a waiting list, however, but they have a bonded pair of sows listed as available.
http://www.rngp.org/index-photo-paninincrosissant.shtml

Last edited:
Reaction score
i'm not trying to change your mind about getting him done, just want to tell you what happened to my little boy. i got him neutered a couple of months ago and he developed a abscess recently. he's had it drained and it has come back again. so the vets may need to operate on it tomorrow. i feel so bad for him and i wish i could take it back and not had it done, he dosn't deserve it. just be aware that it came out of no where, and his cage was always spot cleaned everyday to try and avoid an infection. but it didn't matter.
i hope it goes well for terry. sending good luck vibs his way :)

Reaction score
i'm not trying to change your mind about getting him done, just want to tell you what happened to my little boy. i got him neutered a couple of months ago and he developed a abscess recently. he's had it drained and it has come back again. so the vets may need to operate on it tomorrow. i feel so bad for him and i wish i could take it back and not had it done, he dosn't deserve it. just be aware that it came out of no where, and his cage was always spot cleaned everyday to try and avoid an infection. but it didn't matter.
i hope it goes well for terry. sending good luck vibs his way :)
This is exactly why I'm thinking about it. If it wasn't for the risk i'd have it done in a shot!

Reaction score
I think if your vet seems to think he isn't at risk due to age or any other health problems then go for it. It might just save him and Emily from spending the rest of their lives alone
None of my pigs are alone. They all get floor time everyday with each other and have somebody next door...

Status
Not open for further replies.