Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah8881

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It can go wherever, as long as you can maintain the temperatures. To be honest though, even on a hot summer day, our outside temperatures rarely reach the required 32-34 degree basking temperatures that a Hermann's requires, and our UV index is much lower than their native countries. We've had sunny days this year but mine has only been out for about 20 minutes - he's much better off under his artificial heat and UV bulbs!

You'll also get much more enjoyment out of your future him or her if you them within the house. My dining room is now a tortoise room!

On the subject of hibernation, an old fridge is fine. They shouldn't really be hibernated in your usual fridge but I'd spent a long time monitoring temperatures in mine prior to putting Larry in and it was all hygienically done! All you need for an otherwise empty fridge, is to fill it with bottles of water (2l soft drinks bottles are ideal) so that the temperature is maintained. You'll also need to either keep the seal broken on the door, or open it regularly for fresh oxygen - they're still alive and breathing after all!
Sorry I didn't explain that properly. When I said unused, I meant not used to put a car in. But we have to go through the garage to get outside into our back garden. We have 2 dogs that get let out regularly so we spend a lot of time going in and out of the garage. I made it sound like we weren't going to ever see him! Sorry.

And with regards to the UV bulbs and basking lamps. Are these left on 24hrs a day?

Thank you for all your advice by they way, it's very much appreciated :)

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't explain that properly. When I said unused, I meant not used to put a car in. But we have to go through the garage to get outside into our back garden. We have 2 dogs that get let out regularly so we spend a lot of time going in and out of the garage. I made it sound like we weren't going to ever see him! Sorry.

And with regards to the UV bulbs and basking lamps. Are these left on 24hrs a day?

Thank you for all your advice by they way, it's very much appreciated :)
About 12hrs a day for lighting unless winding down for hibernation :) best way to do it is with a timer I find.

Hannah8881

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. Like I said before, I just want to make sure everything is right first :)

GloriousGuineaGirl

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hats off to you all. I would never be able to keep a Toise'. Amazing animals however but seems like alot of dedication and time!

Status
Not open for further replies.