• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has anyone hibernated a tortoise before ? websites say to put him in the fridge but we dont want to.

Thanks

:)

i wouldnt put it in the fridge :( but the garden shed will be just as cold but dont forget they dont always come out of hybernation :x and dont forget its there. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Put it in the fridge, my friends died just cuz he dug his way to the bottom of the box they put him in to hibernate cuz he was too cold.

That was sposed to say don't put it in the fridge.

ok very confused, why would you put them in a fridge wouldnt they freeze or something :{

yeah thats what i was thinking,we are defo not putting Him in the fridge !

At college I'm not sure what they do but they don't always make it :(

I think you should weigh them regularly though..

yeah we do,we do everything we are meant to do,we ust haven't hibernated him before.I have found a page that sees good,it says to fill a plastic box half way up with soil then let him bury himself.Then you have gotta keep checking the temperature and to see if hes ok ,i thinc we will do that :)

I will try to take one in the morning and put it on(hes asleep now) lol

I just cooled my tortoise down this year. If you go to Reptile Forum and the Shelled Tortoise/Turtle section there is a thread ( you will probably have to go back a bit) that tells you how to prepare them. To stop feeding them and gradually cool them down, making sure they empty themselves fully and reducing the light and heat either end of the day till you eventually put them in an unheated room. You must keep an eye on their weight regularly. They don't hibernate doing this but they do have a rest for a few weeks as long as the room is cold enough. I only did Tilly for a couple of weeks because it was my first time. She came out fine. x)

Gosh I'd no idea you had to do this. Probably a stupid question but as someone who knows nothing about tortoises, why do they have to hibernate? Do they need to if they can't do it themselves?!

That sounds really daft but I'm interested now... :))

Gosh I'd no idea you had to do this. Probably a stupid question but as someone who knows nothing about tortoises, why do they have to hibernate? Do they need to if they can't do it themselves?!

That sounds really daft but I'm interested now... :))

me too, i had no idea!

they are biologically programmed for an annual hibernation period it is so that tortoises are not eating for 365 days a year and so encourages slow natural growth,to keep it awake it could get bone disease, lumpy shells or cancer.So its better to hibernate

they are biologically programmed for an annual hibernation period it is so that tortoises are not eating for 365 days a year and so encourages slow natural growth,to keep it awake it could get bone disease, lumpy shells or cancer.So its better to hibernate

Ah thank you very much. I've learnt something new today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back