• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Towels as bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinakit

As an experiment I have started using towels as bedding for my 2 boys. I change the towels every day (which will mean a lot of washing!) but I do have plenty of old towels (I buy them from charity shops as 'dog towels').

So far it is going really well. I am saving on hay as they only need enough to eat, as the towels are thick and warm so extra bedding isn't needed. Incidentally they live indoors; if they were outside they would need extra bedding as well.

Will let you know how things proceed. If it works well I will use this method with all my piggies.

I was debating that last night, with me having C&C's I use reams and reams of fleece and thought toweling might be more absorbent. Let us kniw how you get on :)

I always start new piggies that come to me on towels to make them feel warm and secure and then after 4 weeks or so take them out. I also line the corners of my room and under my bed with towels each night and morning for when they play out so they've got somewhere cosy to go. I do find that it makes an extra lot of washing and have at least four piggy towel washes a week - just for three piggies! If you leave them in the cage of a adult pig they can become a bit soggy throughout the day as the pee doesn't soak through like vetbed. I also find that face flannels work just as well as towels and they are piggy sized! - you can get 6 for £1 in the £1 shops - I have hundreds!

I will. It's working well so far, and although I need to clean out the cage every day, it's a quick job (no spilling shavings etc on the floor, I just roll it up, shake towels out on the lawn (much to the pleasure of my 2 dogs :P ) then into the washing machine they go! (the towels, not the dogs LOL).

;D Bearing in mind I have 13 piggies and an iminent birth to contend with :o

Hmmmm .... well I have eight piggers now, but currently using the towel method with my 2 boys Cameron and Brecon. They seem quite happy to be guinea pigs ..... sorry about that, had to say it ;D

Bless them, my lot seem to prefer the fleece as to the shavings

I use some fleece as well, on top of the towels, although I don't have enough to cover the whole cage with it.

I get mine for £1 a meter, so it doesnt matter if I throw it afte a few washes, I save loads

I used sleeping bags last year for mine and got in really bad trouble with o
Maryh as I clogged washing machine up!

When my Lily had diarrhoea and I wanted to monitor her, I had her on towels. However when they wee, towels need to be changed so quickly, and take ages to dry if you dont have a tumbledryer...

So what I did was: Putting normal woodshavings into the cage, then putting one huge bathtowel to cover the whole area.

Bedding underneath soaks most of the urine, you just need to pick up poo from the towel, and therefor you dont need to wash quite as often (every second or third day only). Piggies get the cuddly towel to sit on, you have less work to do because of the shavings :)

Abnoba said:
When my Lily had diarrhoea and I wanted to monitor her, I had her on towels. However when they wee, towels need to be changed so quickly, and take ages to dry if you dont have a tumbledryer...

So what I did was: Putting normal woodshavings into the cage, then putting one huge bathtowel to cover the whole area.

Bedding underneath soaks most of the urine, you just need to pick up poo from the towel, and therefor you dont need to wash quite as often (every second or third day only). Piggies get the cuddly towel to sit on, you have less work to do because of the shavings :)

Do the shavings not stick horribly to the towels?

Not really... when I have to change them, I shake them out over the cage, then take a brush and quickly go over it..
Shake it out one more time and then thats it!

the terry cloth fabric isnt like fleece, with fleece I made the experience that it just had to come into a one meter radius of shavings and they would stick to it like glue ::)

I think I'll stick with good old newspapers, shredded paper & hay. You lot will be mentioning nappies next! ....

I use regular non pil fleece (think thats what its called) Its fab

I'm a vet bed fan myself....The only problem that I have with vet bed (and towels would be the same) is you generate a lot of washing!

Jillybean said:
I think I'll stick with good old newspapers, shredded paper & hay. You lot will be mentioning nappies next! ....

towels are handy though, especially if you have a sick piggy that you need to monitor...

I did try shredded paper at one time, but it gets horribly wet very quickly.

Terry Towelling nappies are good!

I personally don't think shavings are a health problem with cavies. However they are terribly hard to hoover up as they stick in the carpets.

Its a good idea.I'm getting lots of idea,advice and help from everyone!Thanks you lot!

:-* ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back