Trapped Nerve

D

DM090820

I promise to be more understanding when anyone over 40 mentions pain in future. XD

I've had a run of bad luck with sleep in the past few weeks and I've managed to trap a nerve in the left side of my neck and to be frank I've been in absolute agony, I've been working on physio which I found online and it's eased off a bit - I can now at least move my arms around without a jolt of pain, I have developed a bit of a temperature and I'm feeling really miserable, but I was wondering if anyone had anything else they could suggest to help, I've found that Ibuprofen and Deep Heat have helped, although ibuprofen always tends to lead to unfortunate digestive issues XD. It could just be a sign that I'm on my way to 30 of course, but I'd like to think there's still some vitality left in me yet.

:) Just for everyone's entertainment, I decided to watch Brokeback Mountain and woke up with it on Sunday morning, I'm sure it's a sign.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of getting older. Keep up what you are doing with it, take paracetamol too just to help with the pain. It will take time to go but will in the end. If you are liking heat on it then try a hot water bottle or one of those microwavable pouches to keep it warm. The only other thing I could suggest are painkillers that you would need a prescription for and if you think ibuprofen is bad for digestive issues you really wouldn't like these :))

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Ouch! I know where you are coming from @Falken. I had a trapped nerve in my neck from the position of my work station 20+ years ago which led to RSI and nearly medical retirement but I wasn't quite bad enough for that. I meant that I couldn't do my job anymore and after consultation with the Union I was made redundant. I still get the odd pain now. I found that seeing a Osteopath helped and well as a Physiotherapist.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. I have the same issue.
Bob and Brad (best physical therapists on the Internet) show good exercises for trapped nerves.
I have a plug in heat pad that I swear by.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Feel your pain, I did the same a few years ago lifting a bucket of dirty fish water in a very stupid way and ended up on the floor! At age 30, still get problems every now and again dammit. Hope Brokeback Mountain cheered you up :))

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Welcome to my world, next stop going upstairs to get something and when you get there, forgetting what you went to get! :yikes:

My OH says at least getting old and forgetful is keeping us fit. We both go up and down stairs and out to the greenhouse/shed and don't do whatever it was we went for several times a day!

I hope you feel better soon @Falken. I second the wheat bag that's heated in the microwave, the long thin ones are brilliant for wrapping round your neck. Gentle exercises are great too. I went to a physio when I had a trapped nerve in my neck the difference after just one visit to a physio was amazing.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Ouch!

I can’t add to the advice given but if the pain is really bad you could contact your doctor for one of the more powerful painkillers temporarily.
Hope it mends quickly

D

DM090820

Welcome to the world of getting older. Keep up what you are doing with it, take paracetamol too just to help with the pain. It will take time to go but will in the end. If you are liking heat on it then try a hot water bottle or one of those microwavable pouches to keep it warm. The only other thing I could suggest are painkillers that you would need a prescription for and if you think ibuprofen is bad for digestive issues you really wouldn't like these :))

I'm still somewhat in the thinking I'm invincible stage XD. My aunt uses the oat bag thingies with EDS, and yet she erm does mention the issues the morphine patches tend to bring on.

Ouch. I have the same issue.
Bob and Brad (best physical therapists on the Internet) show good exercises for trapped nerves.
I have a plug in heat pad that I swear by.
I've been a devotee of Bob & Brad (the most famous physical therapists on the internet) since I started running. Might order a hear pad or something similar.

Watched it or went camping? XD
:) har de har har.

Welcome to my world, next stop going upstairs to get something and when you get there, forgetting what you went to get! :yikes:
:) I've had this problem since I was a toddler, do you think this might be a sign that I'm aging prematurely? :P