• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Travelling in an open cage

piggl

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Due to the floods over the past few days we weren’t unable to drop of my boar pair at the boarders yesterday as planned, which now means I have three pigs to transfer (one single) and only one carrier.

I was planning to put the pair in the carrier and Winston in his cage he will be living in for the next week. It’s quite an open cage and it’s even worse as he is a single pig.

Is there anything I can do to make this safe? The pairing will be dropped off after 40 minutes so I thought about transferring Winston into that carrier after that but I know/am worried the smell will excite/upset him, as this has happened before when near them, let alone on his own with no contact with them for a few days.

Travelling in an open topped cage will definitely be dangerous, partly due to the open top and partly due to the amount of space available to slide around in. It would be safer to get a cardboard box, line it and put him in there. It could be covered with a pegged down towel (if it doesn’t already have a lid) and wedged between front and back seats of a car, in the front footwell or on someone’s lap.

I hope you and your pigs manage to stay safe (and dry!) from the floods.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

The cage wasn’t open top, it is one of those store bought ones which is fully enclosed but much more open than a carrier.

The passenger seat was pushed up against it and he was hiding in a towel the whole time. Thankfully he was fine but i’ll likely have to buy another carrier for next time.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

The cage wasn’t open top, it is one of those store bought ones which is fully enclosed but much more open than a carrier.

The passenger seat was pushed up against it and he was hiding in a towel the whole time. Thankfully he was fine but i’ll likely have to buy another carrier for next time.

Ah I see, what is known as a commercial cage then.

A second carrier is always helpful!
Have a lovely time away

Back