• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Travelling piggies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suziesooo

I'm going away to stay with a friend for the week and am wondering whether to take Podge with me, it's a 6 hour car journey. He's travelled that long before when I moved house and was fine. I would put his whole cage in the car. Is this a good idea or not? A neighbour has offered to pop in and do the necessaries if I don't take him. :-\

I dont see why not. My piggies travelled from Germany to the UK by car and were fine :)

I would take the water bottle out though and just put plenty of cucumber in the cage - bumpy roads make water bottles leak.

Also put plenty of hay in the house so he can snuggle up, and I would put a big bath towel over the cage to make it darker, will make him feel safer aswell.

Thanks for that advice, I'd rather take him with me as although my neighbour would clean/feed/water him I think he'd be very lonely as he's a very vocal little chap and talks to me all the time! lol! Cucumber is his favourite thing in the world, if I put a whole cucumber in he'd have eaten it by the time I reached the end of my road! I'll take a supply and give it to him gradually :)

He should be ok, just take some wet vegs etc to give him on the way there and back..... I've travelled several piggies from Scotland to the Midlands which is a good 6 hour drive and they've all been fine.

Have fun! :)

can I ask, why do you keep him alone? if he is such a talkative little chap as you say, he could do with some piggy company...

he must be quite lonely :(

I got him from Squeaky Pigs rescue in Castleford. He had to be rehomed on his own as he's not very sociable with other piggies, which is why he lives indoors with me, my daughter and my dog! He had been sharing his cage with another piggy and I was orginally going to rehome them both together but Podge decided he didn't want to share with Ken anymore as when I went to collect them Ken was in 'Recovery'!

is he neutered? have you thought about putting him together with a young girlie? in most cases a boar wont mind having a girl sharing his cage ;) they are guys after all!

I have been considering getting another, if the little chap in Exeter hadn't found a home so quickly I would have been there, but I hadn't considered neutering or getting him a girlie. Thanks for that suggestion, I really don't think Podge is unhappy at all, but I will seriously consider that option and keep my eye out for a girly that needs a home, thanks :)

Have just been looking at the girly piggies that need homes. I will contact vets about booking him for neutering after I get back from my week away, thanks ever so for that suggestion. Have been so wanting to help another piggy in need! :)

suziesooo said:
Have just been looking at the girly piggies that need homes. I will contact vets about booking him for neutering after I get back from my week away, thanks ever so for that suggestion. Have been so wanting to help another piggy in need! :)

Make sure you ring round your vets, I'm considering getting my boar neutered and I've been quoted anything from £30 up to £65 and they are all vets recommended.

Okay, thanks for that, I'll bare it in mind. Although I do have a lot of trust for the vet I use, they've been brilliant with my dog, she's 14 and has just had some teeth out, poor old girl.

yeah, its just that some - as good as they might be - are trying to rip you off ;)

But that sounds fantastic! I am sure he will appreciate a girl to live with :)

I am sure there is already plenty of information on this forum about castration, e.g. sitting him on towels the week after the operation so you can monitor it better if everything is healing fine, not putting a girly with him for 3 to 6 weeks after castrating him because of his "last shot" *sniggers*

If you need any advice further on - feel free to ask. :)

I paid £19 and £22 for my boys to be neutered. Where are you based? my vets are really good....

If you get a baby boar young enough, that's also an option for you and podge :)

I'm in Plymouth in Devon. My only concern is that he can be a real grump sometimes and I could end up with him still wanting to be alone, and another lone piggy too!

It's very rare that a boar won't take to a sow but it can happen and vice versa. Most rescues will let you take Podge along so he can pick who he would like to 'shack up' with :)

LOL! ;D That's so much better than an arranged marriage!

Thanks for that info everyone, I'll keep you posted!

suziesooo said:
. My only concern is that he can be a real grump sometimes and I could end up with him still wanting to be alone, and another lone piggy too!

With all the many single piggies which have come into ARC, I have never had any of these be rehomed by themselves, they all have been neutered and none have been a problem with being paired up with a nice young lady. As Beks said occassionally the other way round can be a problem.

Thanks, I'll be finding a friend for Podge as soon as he's 'done' and recovered! My daughter and I love him so dearly and are really looking forward now to helping another piggy in need! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back