• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Treating Guinea Pigs for Fungal Infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggie Life

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I own two Guinea Pigs (Fudge & Aero). I found out Aero has the early stages of a fungal infection but right at the moment it isn't too bad and I have started treating it with Canesten Cream (1% Clotrimazole). I have ordered some Mycozole Spray from Vet UK as well as anti-dandruff shampoo containing Nizorol. On Guinea Lynx these products are recommened in treating Guinea Pigs for fungal. Is there anything I'm doing wrong, if so then please tell me!

Thanks ;)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your piggies are poorly. Have you had them checked by a vet? Only a professional can really say if it is ringworm,fungal or something else.

The woman I bought the Pigs from (they're new born) is a trusted breeder and has veterinary qualifications (she runs a rescue centre also). She has diagnosed it as Fungal and had e-mailed me as soon as she found out the litter has fungal. So I'm certain it isn't Ringworm. This reply also replies to Abi_nurse's similar answer.

I would not be confident to self medicate my piggies. As I have learnt, fungal infections can get out of hand very quickly. There are different types of fungal infections - some can pass to humans. Different fungals need different treatments.

A cavy savvy vet can prescribe the correct medications in correct amounts as well as give detailed instructions. Please visit you vet to be sure you are giving correct amounts/doses to your piggies.

Amy
x

If your piggy is under 12 weeks of age then a vet trip is needed even if you are already sure of what it is, so treatment can be discussed as little ones this small should not be bathed.

Also everything that cannot be washed with an anti fungal disinfectant (such as F10) needs to be disposed of and replaced. Ringworm can be transfered to humans and other animals within the home so stringent measured need to be taken after handling etc.

How old are they? You say new-born but I hope that they are older than that as that is too young to leave their mother. How many weeks old are they?

As they are so young I would be very careful about what you treat them with, even if you feel you can trust this person, if you haven't had them long then maybe she should be treating them before she let them go to a new home. As the others say Vet opinions are much better especially when the piggies are so young. I hope they will be okay :)

Sorry they're not newborn they're seven weeks. I will try to treat them myself and if I notice they are not getting better I will take them both to the vet straight away. It's just the nearest vet is quite a long way and they are still young so I don't want to scare them early on, but if I notice they're not getting better I will of course take them to the vet.

Also could you give me advice on bonding with them if possible. They are eating and drinking fine but they seem nervous around me. When I pick them up them seem nervous and make a sound implying they are nervous so then I put them back not to scare them. However I did manage to hand feed them some Romaine Lettuce but that was a one off and they still seem very nervous. When I walk up to their hutch they either hide in the straw or hide in the tunnel. If I do try to pick them up they run away and it makes me feel like I'm being cruel in picking them up when they're scared.

I dont wish to be rude, but treating guinea pigs this young without vet advice is very dangerous, and not in the best interests of your piggies. Most piggies cope very well with car jorneys, pop them in an animal carrier with something to nibble and something to snuggle into and away you go. :)

The best way to pick them up is using some kind of conveyance like a cosey sack or card board box with an entrance, this way they can relax into a routine. Generally, piggies wont just sit still to be picked up, not untill they get much older and more used to you. Because they are prey animals everything your describing is perfectly normal, you just has to do it little by little, talk to them softly. My piggies have taken a year to stop dashing and hiding. That is an unusually long time, but it can happen despite best efforts. Your piggies are doing well taking food from you. :)

I cannot emphasise how important it is to get a propper vet diagnosis before trying to home treat something, particularly in piggies this young.

I would strongly suggest that you do not self treat these babies. Fungal treatments can have consequences for the development of such young animals, especially in respect of their livers as all guinea pigs groom and therefore ingest the antifungal treatment.

We often have new members that think that home treating is acceptable and going to the vet should only be done if the home remedies don't work.

Your babies are likely to suffer as a result - not only potentially from the treatment itself but also because if it does not work they will have suffered for longer due to not receiving the correct treatment in the first place.

I hope you will reconsider.

Suzy

Re fungal problem - It is really worth trying to get fungal disinfectant eg F10 as mentionned as the spores can linger on in their housing and bedding. And getting disposable gloves when applying cream etc. Hope they start mending.

Re being shy, that is what you would expect at 7 weeks but hand feeding is really good so keep going with that. i also found they respond well to a routine (like toddlers!) and also are better being picked up in a towel or sac than with hands. they will take time to get to know you and become braver. good luck

The woman I bought the Pigs from (they're new born) is a trusted breeder and has veterinary qualifications (she runs a rescue centre also). She has diagnosed it as Fungal and had e-mailed me as soon as she found out the litter has fungal. So I'm certain it isn't Ringworm. This reply also replies to Abi_nurse's similar answer.

You may feel a little annoyed by some of the answers you are getting but i must say i agree. I have 'veterinary qualifications' but this does not make me able to diagnose and prescribe treatment to people pets. I am not a vet. I will reitterate that seeing a vet is the best course of action, even if you think not. I wont say again. I hope your piggies get well soon though, please do stick around and chat about your piggies on here, its a great forum for good advice.

x.

Ok, I will take your's and other advice and see a vet. Of course, I dont want these Guinea Pigs to get ill or distressed so will take them for an appointment. Do you think you could give me advice on foods to buy in the meantime to make them happy. I already give them lettuce and dandelions but is there anything they really like that will make them happy.

Edit: Of course I'm already feeding them Pellets and Hay.

This will help you with food. They need unlimited hay and fresh water. For dry food I use Burgess Excell nuggets. They are a complete food and discourage picking.
http://theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42
I already give them Excel Nuggets. At first I gave them a mixed food but as you said they picked at the bits they like best (fussy!). I currently give them Meadow Hay and have a shipment of Alfalfa Hay coming in as I hear it's the best for young piggies! I give them fresh fruit and veg (more veg than fruit) and water. Is there anything I'm missing out? They also have a wood gnaw but seem to ignore it.

Thanks for the reply! :)

They are fussy indeed! Limit the fruit to a treat now and then as it is high in sugar. Do you have things for them like beds,wooden cabins? They love to hide and be cosy so anything like that is ideal.

They are fussy indeed! Limit the fruit to a treat now and then as it is high in sugar. Do you have things for them like beds,wooden cabins? They love to hide and be cosy so anything like that is ideal.
Right now they have a tunnel where they go and hide and I am going to buy them some more things for them. They also have a microwave heat pad which has a snuggle cover that keeps them warm at night; they love it! I don't give them a lot of fruit anyway as they don't even like it that much! But I will give them Apples as an occasional treat as they seem to nibble away at that!

instead of posting another thread i planned to ask here....i suspect that my pet has fungal infection....but I'm open to other causes of hair loss....just a question, can an antidandruff shampoo be enough to get rid of fungal infection if ever my cavy has?

Just a quick update for people on my situation. I followed your advice and I got in contact with my local vet. She said to keep using the Anti Fungal Cream I am currently using and if it doesn't seem noticeably better within a few days she will book me an appointment :)

Also guys, will I need to buy a new hutch? I'm reading online that the Fungal Spores can stay present in the hutch? Is there some disinfectant that I can buy that will kill the fungal spores in the hutch?

To answer your question I think the shampoo is too clear debris and sooth the fungal infection while creams / sprays etc. actually combat the fungal. Ring your vet to hear what they say. My vet just said to continue using what I was already using (Caneston). You can buy it from most chemists. She also said if the fungal doesn't clear to then bring my pigs in for an appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back