• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Trimoxazole - any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas :)

As many of you may know, Biscuit was recently diagnosed with pneumonia. He had several cultures sent away to find the root bacterial cause of the infection and is due to see his vet on 4th January.

In the meantime, he is taking 1ml x 1/day of Marbocyl, 0.25ml x 2/day of Metacam (it was 0.5ml for the first 5 days) AND 0.6ml x 2/day of trimoxazole. I cannot fnd any information on the net about trimoxazole in piggies but have seen that co-trimoxazole can cause loss of appetite in humans....

He has been fine with his meds (although he hates the taste of the trimoxazole and isn't a fan of the marbocyl too much either) until yesterday and today as I have noticed he is hardly eating hay (Burgess Excel Herbage). He has eaten parsley with no problems and is eating a few bits of carrot and a few pellets. He has hardly passed any droppings today (about 6 - very small!).

I am a little concerned and wondering if this is due to the trimoxazole and whether it's a lack of appetite or a sign of gut stasis (he had bad stasis due to engemicyn before). Does anyone know anything about trimoxazole in guinea pigs?

Any advice or info welcome :)

x

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Trimoxazole is in septrin the veterinary medicine/suspension. I dont know of it causing gut stasis, but sometimes using too many antibiotic can kill off some of the piggies natural good gut flora which wont help. Trying a probiotic might help. Its a great drug to use against cystitis and uti's. Has your piggie had any diuretics to shift any fluid off there chest? Or any anti congestants? It might be worth asking your vet about this?

Not much help sorry

x.

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Abi,

No Biscuit is only on those meds I listed. We're waiting for the results of the cultures but my vet suggested he may need to be nebulized at some point unless he responds to treatment or we can isolate the bacteria.

I'm just worried about the hay intake and poop outflow. He's eaten another piece of carrot and a few spinach leaves but just doesn't seem interested in his hay which is worrying. Could it be the taste?

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Possibly, have you thought about maybe supplimenting with a little bit of syringe feeding just to add some more calories and fibre to the diet. Its good to weigh piggies daily to ensure they are not loosing any weight if theyre not eating so well. Things like fibreplex can be useful to supplement fibre. Really green sweet smelling hay should be good. If your piggie can smell too well/is congested then taste might not be as good. At the cambridge cavy trust they reccommend putting a dab of vic's vapour rub on piggies noses to help clear sinus's. But not everyone here likes that idea.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.