• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Trip to vets

Sam75

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, dont know if you remember me but I had 2 board named sparticus and maximus. They had gone very quiet but were still eating and pooping. Well, since then, one boar......sparticus has lost weight, going down to 676grams. He is eating hay and dandelion leaves but that's about it now. I took him to the vets this .morning and he has no outward signs of any problems. Vet checked teeth, tummy and temp. All fine. He's given me medication to give twice a day and liquid feed to syringe feed him approx 1.3ml every hour. My question is, is there anything more I can give him in terms of calorie enriched food or is this liquid feed ample for now. I have to weigh him every day to monitor his weight and if he doesn't gain or continues to lose I'm to take him back within a few days. Thanks all. Worried Guinea pig mum.

Hi all, dont know if you remember me but I had 2 board named sparticus and maximus. They had gone very quiet but were still eating and pooping. Well, since then, one boar......sparticus has lost weight, going down to 676grams. He is eating hay and dandelion leaves but that's about it now. I took him to the vets this .morning and he has no outward signs of any problems. Vet checked teeth, tummy and temp. All fine. He's given me medication to give twice a day and liquid feed to syringe feed him approx 1.3ml every hour. My question is, is there anything more I can give him in terms of calorie enriched food or is this liquid feed ample for now. I have to weigh him every day to monitor his weight and if he doesn't gain or continues to lose I'm to take him back within a few days. Thanks all. Worried Guinea pig mum.
What medication have they given him?
Our syringe feeding guide might help
Syringe Feeding & Medicating Guides, Probiotics Links, First Aid Kit...
I usually aim to get 50mls syringe food/ kg body weight in 24 hours. He has lost a lot of weight. Is he drinking a lot? How old is he?
Sorry for all the questions!

Have all teeth been checked? Back ones aswell? And under the teeth around the jawline?

Oats are good for fattening up piggies. You can syringe his softened pellets too, soften them with warm water first. Hope he picks up soon x

What medication have they given him?
Our syringe feeding guide might help
Syringe Feeding & Medicating Guides, Probiotics Links, First Aid Kit...
I usually aim to get 50mls syringe food/ kg body weight in 24 hours. He has lost a lot of weight. Is he drinking a lot? How old is he?
Sorry for all the questions!
Hiya, the meds they gave him smelt like gripe water to me. They said it would kick start his appetite. He is eating, just really picky now. He's gone off carrots and sweetcorn which were his favourite. He'll eat cauli leaves and dandelion leaves in abundance. His weight is slowly creeping up now but very slowly. He's still drinking plenty and also eats hay and pellets. He's about 10 months old now. The vet also gave me powder sachets to mix and syringe feed but they're all gone now. They smelt like crushed Guinea pellets to me. I just wondered if I can give oats to fatten him up somewhat and get him back to normal weight.

Hi all, thanks for your help. My boar got to a point where I really thought I was going to lose him. As well as the weight loss he picked up mites and ringworm. Thankfully we kept it at bay from his brother. He hadn't lost anymore weight but felt really bony and his coat looked awful from the mites. Anyway, he had medication for the skin but the vet still couldn't find what was wrong with him. I started feeding him oats with his pellets and hay and decided to leave the veg for a while. Well, after a long wait, he's finally on the road to recovery. Whether he was just pigging out too much on veg and not enough of the good stuff or whether whatever was wrong has passed I don't know but I'm so happy he's almost back to normal. His coat is looking 95% and he's only 50grams off what we estimated he began at before all this happened. I've cut back the veg now and only feed smaller amounts every other day and he seems much happier. x

Back