• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tummy Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think Athena has bloat :( Her tummy is hard, I changed her cage yesterday and noticed that there is hardly any poo in it at all since then, she isn't eating very much.

I'm doing what I can, being a Sunday and my phone being out of commission for the moment (been on hold with the company for about 20 minutes but at least they have good music?).

I've been massaging her tummy and it seems there is a build up of gas in there. I've given her gripe water, syringed her water and am going to start syringing her food as well.

She has lost about 200 g since last week, not sure if that means anything but I will be weighing her daily until this runs it course with whatever out come.

She has been out cuddling with me for hours now there have been no poops and she has only peed once.

And my phone is now back on so I will be calling the vet to see if there is an emergency place I can take her.

I will be keeping you all updated......

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Phoned the vet today. The doc who specializes in guinea pigs isn't in until tomorrow, so we are going first thing in the morning.

Athena does seem to be feeling a little better. It seems that I can massage things through, much to her relief. She is eating some on her own but I am still supplementing with syringed pellet mush and water.

There still seems to be hard lumps in her tummy though:(

I'm in a bit of a state because I didn't sleep well last night because I'm worried. I know that Athena is old but in the couple months she has lived with me I've become so attached that it will be heartbreaking when she has to leave me.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has she done any dropping since yesterday? Try and give her tummy a gentle massage (very gently) and she needs to keep moving as this can help relief bloat if its gas and not a blockage.

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/bloat.htm
have a read of this

I know it can be scary and I hope she is okay.

She hasn't got a poo plug or anything has she? I know when one of mine had mild bloat he had a massive poo plug that sure would of made it difficult to push her gas out.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When my boy had bloat I found gentle tummy massages (his bum higher than head) and making him move around ie walk/run help to move the gas and get it moving out.

Vibration helps if you have a massage pillow or something like that, or sit her on your lap and jiggle your legs around not as good but something anyone can do.

I found infacol worked better than gripe water, dose is 1ml a day although you can give 1ml twice on first day.

Once a blockage has been ruled out you can give 1ml olive oil to break the bubbles down and help the piggy get them out of the gut.

Olive oil worked like a miracle for my boy and you could see the bubbles in the poop weirdly fascinating lol.

The hard lumps could be stuck poo, just a thought

Hope she gets back to normal soon, good luck with the vet.

Last edited:

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good News

So last night I massaged Athena's tummy gently and ended up getting a bunch of poop out of her. That seemed to kickstart things and she was eating by herself and even pooping a little.

We went to the vet today as I could still feel some gas in her tummy and just wanted to make sure I was doing everything I could for her. Of course that the vet she was pooping up a storm, which the vet said was a very good sign. He said that she had a bit of bloat but nothing to be worried about. He gave me some gut mobility medication to give .3mls every 8 hours and told me to put Athena on a diet of only hay for the next couple days.

Overall it seems like Athena is returning to her regular self and she is currently munching away at her orchard grass. She also has timothy hay that looks like she has been nibbling on as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.