• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Two Guinea Pig Boys Together

It’s not fair that they kept the piggy alone. It’s about character compatibility and he just hadn’t found the right friend for him.

How old are your boys?
My colleague's guinea pig was an odd one. He wouldn't even tolerate another guinea pig for a play date regardless of the gender.

My boys are 8 to 12 weeks old. They both are cagemates since a long time.

I have 2 boars which I sadly had to seperate because one was bullying the other,the bullied one was very withdrawn not coming out of his bed,and when he did the dominant one would chase him,chattering his teeth and pulling his fur out.
I now have the dominant piggie on his own which he seems to be quite happy about lol
And the submissive piggie now has a new baby boar companion and they seem to like each other.
If your pair fall out you will definitely know about it and you will know in your gut when or if you ever need to seperate them.hopefully it will not come to that.
Thanks. I will keep an eye.

Piggie boys are just like human brothers. They love each other but have arguments at times. I have 2 boys that have been together since birth (1 1/2 years now). They annoy each other and teeth chatter but never fight. As long as there isn't a fight (gash taken out leading to dripping blood) they are good. I know it can seem scary but that's how piggies resolve disagreements. You might even see nose punching. Sounds like your boys are just being boys.

My colleague's guinea pig was an odd one. He wouldn't even tolerate another guinea pig for a play date regardless of the gender.

My boys are 8 to 12 weeks old. They both are cagemates since a long time.
Piggies don’t do play dates. It’s stressful for them as each time they’re out together again, they have to start the hierarchy dance again.

Piggies don’t do play dates. It’s stressful for them as each time they’re out together again, they have to start the hierarchy dance again.
Ahh, looks my colleague was misinformed. That's why sadly the piggie was left alone 😔

I have a ramp and a first floor in the cage like the C&C one. The boys have not discovered it yet could it lead to any potential problems in their relationship?

I have a ramp and a first floor in the cage like the C&C one. The boys have not discovered it yet could it lead to any potential problems in their relationship?

No it won’t cause problems. They need ground space to get away from each other and I know your cage is big enough so that is a good thing. Upper loft spaces are simply bonus spaces, many people never add them to cages (I don’t have one).

The only thing that can influence their relationship is them - they have to like each other and want to be together. While you can minimise areas for tensions such as giving a big cage, handling dominant first and ensuring lots of hides and two food bowls etc, ultimately nothing you do will make an impact. If piggies like each other and want to be together then there won’t be problems in their relationship. If they decide they don’t like each other, then there is nothing you can do to change that.

No it won’t cause problems. They need ground space to get away from each other and I know your cage is big enough so that is a good thing. Upper loft spaces are simply bonus spaces, many people never add them to cages (I don’t have one).

The only thing that can influence their relationship is them - they have to like each other and want to be together. While you can minimise areas for tensions such as giving a big cage, handling dominant first and ensuring lots of hides and two food bowls etc, ultimately nothing you do will make an impact. If piggies like each other and want to be together then there won’t be problems in their relationship. If they decide they don’t like each other, then there is nothing you can do to change that.
Awesome thanks. I just wanted to ensure if I am in the right direction. 😄😄

Back