• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Two Out Of Three Of My Guineau Pigs Have Died

Ellie2002

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yesterday, I sadly discovered two of my guineau pigs had passed away in their hutch. I was heart broken I loved them so much and always fed and cared for them. My third guineau pig Minnie hasn’t died I’m really worried about her she is the shyest and the smallest the others protected her. I asked my mom for a new one to accompany Minnie and she just straight up said no anyone know what could of caused the sudden deaths of dandelion and lily? Also what should I do about poor Minnie?

Very sorry about your sudden losses. There could be any number of reasons why they passed so it's impossible for us to guess. How old were the two you lost? I would be popping Minnie along to the vet for a check over and make sure there isn't an infection in the respiratory system or something that could have been contagious.

Yesterday, I sadly discovered two of my guineau pigs had passed away in their hutch. I was heart broken I loved them so much and always fed and cared for them. My third guineau pig Minnie hasn’t died I’m really worried about her she is the shyest and the smallest the others protected her. I asked my mom for a new one to accompany Minnie and she just straight up said no anyone know what could of caused the sudden deaths of dandelion and lily? Also what should I do about poor Minnie?

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your unexpected loss. It is everbody's nightmare! :(
You are welcome to post a tribute to your two in our Rainbow Bridge section if that feels right for you.

Please have Minnie vet checked and quarantine her for two weeks unless she is acutely pining (not eating).
Without a post-mortem examination it is unfortunately impossible to say what killed them. Are they indoors or outdoors piggies? If Minnie is still outside, then please bring her inside.

Here are our tips for what you can do for Minnie now and in the longer term: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your unexpected loss. It is everbody's nightmare! :(
You are welcome to post a tribute to your two in our Rainbow Bridge section if that feels right for you.

Please have Minnie vet checked and quarantine her for two weeks unless she is acutely pining (not eating).
Without a post-mortem examination it is unfortunately impossible to say what killed them. Are they indoors or outdoors piggies? If Minnie is still outside, then please bring her inside.

Here are our tips for what you can do for Minnie now and in the longer term: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Thank you so much for being so considerate xx
They are outside guineau pigs and Minnie is still eating, the day before lily and dandelion died they were perfectly fine squeaking and eating as normal

Very sorry about your sudden losses. There could be any number of reasons why they passed so it's impossible for us to guess. How old were the two you lost? I would be popping Minnie along to the vet for a check over and make sure there isn't an infection in the respiratory system or something that could have been contagious.
I
They were around 2 so still young and I really want to send her to a vet but my mom said she cannot afford the bills. Which makes me really upset and I feel irresponsible as it’s my duty to care for her xx

Hello.
I'm sorry about your piggies.
Keep your other piggie as comfortabale as possible. 2 is very young to die. Have you changed anything food bedding etc.
It would help if you see a vet or even ring one
Keep strong.

Hiya. I’m so sorry for your loss. How awfully sad to have lost 2 lovely piggies at the same time. RIP Dandelion and Lily. :luv:.
Hopefully Minnie will be ok especially if you can bring her inside.
Huge hugs to you and Minnie at this sad time x

Hello.
I'm sorry about your piggies.
Keep your other piggie as comfortabale as possible. 2 is very young to die. Have you changed anything food bedding etc.
It would help if you see a vet or even ring one
Keep strong.
Thank you, and 2 is very young for a guineau pig to die which is why I am so devastated and curious to why. We have changed nothing everything kept the same

Hiya. I’m so sorry for your loss. How awfully sad to have lost 2 lovely piggies at the same time. RIP Dandelion and Lily. :luv:.
Hopefully Minnie will be ok especially if you can bring her inside.
Huge hugs to you and Minnie at this sad time x
Thank you sm, dandelion and Lily will always be held close to my heart ❤️

we're they in a shed or outside. seems very strange. could something get at them.
wish I could help more.

Guys also would it be the right thing to buy a new guineau pig for Minnie if so what age and size she is small and 2 (hopefully this will persuade my mom) if it’s the right thing to do xx

So sorry for your losses. I hope you get to the bottom of it and your remaining piggy is ok xx

Guys also would it be the right thing to buy a new guineau pig for Minnie if so what age and size she is small and 2 (hopefully this will persuade my mom) if it’s the right thing to do xx
Ok. this is going along the path of needing to think long and hard. your piggie Minnie needs to be checked to see if what killed the others has passed.
I would never buy a piggie at all. Theirs 100s piggies at rescue that need a loving home. You could take Minnie and see if she bonds with one.
You could buy a piggie that doesn't bond with Minnie and make her life horrible how would you feel then.

Ok. this is going along the path of needing to think long and hard. your piggie Minnie needs to be checked to see if what killed the others has passed.
I would never buy a piggie at all. Theirs 100s piggies at rescue that need a loving home. You could take Minnie and see if she bonds with one.
You could buy a piggie that doesn't bond with Minnie and make her life horrible how would you feel then.
We wasn’t going to go to a pet store anyway as they usually sell babies. We are looking at a guineau pig rescue centre

Yes 2 is young but there are lots of factors such as genetics from bad breeding through to environmental factors. I would strongly recommend a vets visit before considering taking on any more piggies as there may be something contagious and the last thing you want is another two piggies lost to it.
What health checks do you carry out at present? Do you check their weights regularly? Do you check for lumps and bumps? Teeth and eyes? Piggies are excellent at hiding their illnesses so getting into a good routine for maintaining their health is ideal

Yes, I do weigh them they were healthy and always had a good diet consisting of veg and dried food. I did check for links or anything unusual but never found anything. It’s just really perculiar how they both died at the same time period

Have you considered fright? Rats, mice, foxes, dogs, cats etc. can try to get into a hutch. Guinea pigs can die from sheer fright. That is why I have asked you to please bring Minnie inside. Especially mice or rats can get through amazingly small cracks.

It is something to consider when two guinea pigs die very suddenly without obvious causes outside. Indoors, I would think of monoxide poisoning if two piggies die unexpectedly at the same time without signs of at least short illness.

For the longer term, I would recommend to look for a new friend for Minnie, but only if you are safe after a quarantine, as described in the bereavement guide. Please take the time to read it and to also show it to your mother.

Back