• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Two storey hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am getting a new hutch next year for my guinea-pigs, and I'm excited because at the moment they're living in two small hutches which have been joined together and it's not very good for them. I don't know whether a single storey hutch or a double hutch would be best. I used to prefer single hutches but now I think a double hutch might be better, what do you think?

Hi Alicia

This is my two storey hutch - excuse the pampers box but they make good hiding places!

P1010234.jpg

I have had single storey and two storey hutches and I really love this one. It took a few days for my guinea pigs to get used to the ramp but they now hurtle up and down it :)) they have a nice cosy bedding area upstairs and plenty of space to run around downstairs.

If you get a two tier hutch its best that the bottom tier has a solid floor and doesn't sit directly on the ground otherwise it can get too damp and draughty

x

Last edited:
I got this from ebay for £50 including the hutch cover, food bowls, water bowls and the hay rack :)

The ramp and some of the doors have been a bit chewed by the previous owners rabbits but the wood is really thick and it is very sturdy. I looked at loads in the local pet shop and the wood was really thin so keep a look out on second hand sites

:)

Personally I prefer single level hutches, I've had double tier even triple tier ones in the past and gave up on them because my guinea pigs wouldn't use the ramps. I think it's better for mine to have one big space on a single level to run around rather than something stacked high. I don't like how ramps can take up space, can be steep or sometimes get in the way.

My hutches are pretty long, 8 footers and obviously it's not practical for everyone to have hutches that take up quite so much space which is why double tiers can be better. I don't know how much you are looking to spend but you could get a single tier 8ft hutch for less than £100 if you contact local carpenters/joiners etc. Mine are solid timber not plywood which means the cost is probably justified since they will last such a long time.

Just do whatever works best for you, if you think your piggies will take to a double tier hutch and you find one that looks like it will fit the bill then go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back