• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ugh, so much snow and I will still have to go to work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I live 12 miles away from work and last year when it snowed this bad it took me two hours to get home instead of 15/20 mins. The head at the school I work at doesn't like to close the school for any reason. There was a power cut last Monday and we spent most of the day in cold, gloomy classrooms supporting two pupils whose vision is so bad they couldn't see without the lights on. The teachers were having to make the lessons up as they went along cuz the computers, interactive whiteboards etc weren't working. The power came back on half an hour before the end of the day :x

I am dreading having to go in tomorrow.

I have the exact same journey time as you! It is getting onto the main roads that takes ages for me and my work is in quite a high up place which is a bit of a snow trap. I am working on the assumption that it will be open as only once has my work been closed due to weather. The wellies are ready and lots of snuggly clothes looked out. Not sure what I will do if my DDs school is closed though!

Paul's been hoping the buses across East Riding will be having trouble because if the school buses can't run then he'll get a day off....

Me, I'm in work whatever because I work in Hull and live in Hull so getting there is easy peasy!

Last years snow leaves rather bad taste wiht me. Childrens school closed because staff could not park in the carpark ! I had to have 2 days off work and because I was honest and said my childrens school was closed, I didnt get paid. Those who said they couldnt get in had to make the time up and got paid. I didnt get the choice :( A plea went on the schools website for parents to go an clear the carpark which many of us did ! and guess what, only one member of staff arrived to help and that was the head mistress. I was furious !

I have the exact same journey time as you! It is getting onto the main roads that takes ages for me and my work is in quite a high up place which is a bit of a snow trap. I am working on the assumption that it will be open as only once has my work been closed due to weather. The wellies are ready and lots of snuggly clothes looked out. Not sure what I will do if my DDs school is closed though!

The school I work at is futher out of town so I don't know how bad is is out there but I am working on the assumption it will be open too.

Paul's been hoping the buses across East Riding will be having trouble because if the school buses can't run then he'll get a day off....

Me, I'm in work whatever because I work in Hull and live in Hull so getting there is easy peasy!

That is what I am hoping for too. Buses trying to get down Swanland hill eek. The kids from Ferriby and Brough won't have it so bad but Swanland is up a very steep hill.

Last years snow leaves rather bad taste wiht me. Childrens school closed because staff could not park in the carpark ! I had to have 2 days off work and because I was honest and said my childrens school was closed, I didnt get paid. Those who said they couldnt get in had to make the time up and got paid. I didnt get the choice :( A plea went on the schools website for parents to go an clear the carpark which many of us did ! and guess what, only one member of staff arrived to help and that was the head mistress. I was furious !

I would have been too. That is dreadful that no staff showed up.

Hope you managed to get in safely (hugs).

We're over in Hull tonight for a gig, luckily it's at the Ice Arena so it shouldn't be too bad to get to?

I've been quite lucky as I've been on holidays since the snow started, I'm not back until Wednesday night I'm hoping the snow is gobe by then.

I dont understand why so many people get so excited about getting snow. For me its a nuisance. I dont like it at all. :o

It just makes life more difficult, having to scrape and de ice the car in the morning is no fun, house is freezing so heating has been constantly on and I worry about the animals being cold too and then you have to wrap up really warm just to go out to work.

Our workplace is also freezing and I work with a woman who is that fat she insists on having the air con on and lets us all suffer. Wtf! pow-pow
Anyway that's the end of my rant hahahaha! x

Ugh I hate snow! It's all fine and dandy for people who can walk properly but if I slip I could end up in a knee brace again as I've had knee surgery :(

My journey should take the same time as yours 10-15 mins in the car. Today, it took me 2 hours and 2 buses to get to work. Nightmare! Work closed at 1pm and luckily I got a lift home but the main roads are really really bad.

Took some work home with me, in case I can't get in tomorrow I could some stuff in the house - don't want to take a day off just because of bad weather.

I got excited when I saw the snw, but going out in it is dangeous and so very cold, I can't afford heating much so it's hard. I'm always in my boyfriend house coat trying to stay warm... I hope the pigs are okay, the only room i try and heat is theirs. Last year our main street road froze over, making buses slip into corners and others not even getting up hills, I was standing next to a bus once that just slipped into the corner of the pavement, glad I got out the way before it started going... I then had to stop it and tlel them not to go to far onto the root as 2 other buses were stuck up there. I had an exam that day! lol

The roads here have been really bad and no fun at all has been had driving to work!

Was watching the local news earlier, its terrifying seeing the cars and lorries sliding allover the roads.
Also my boss text me earlier saying the policy is if you dont come into work you wont get paid for it, but said if you can make it to a branch closer to home then you can do that. Abit pointless for me really as the three branches closest to me are all about the same distance and still means a 30 min drive in this weather which will probably take a lot longer.

I hope you are all okay and being careful x

I'm working tomorrow and hoping they'll run the buses. They come a long way, they are not local buses like most have :(

My car is still at work - I walked home (4 miles) was lucky I am able to do so.

It took my sister 2 hours to drive 2.5 miles, and one friend 3.5 hours to do 4 miles.

Hope no work tomorrow, cos I know the buses will wimp out and I don't get paid enough to walk there lol.

Took us an hour and 10 mins to get back 3 miles tonight, Ken was an hour 40 from just further down the road from my office.

Kens boss the headteacher has just text him to say school should still be open. Myself and four colleagues will be walking tomorrow i think as the snows not giving up.rolleyes

Luckily so far the main roads are ok but the little road into the school is a nightmare. 1ft deep slush with ice under it on a steep hill. I don't know how the buses made it up, I was slipping all over.

It has been snowing here for 4 hours and is forcasted to keep doing so all night. Worst forcast so far. I really don't want to have to face that road again tomorrow.

We have had very little snow in the North-west (or in Bolton/Manchester at least) but what little snow we have had is now solid ice :(

I love to look at the snow, but could do without travelling in it

I have given up driving now as my car is well and truly stuck and walking everywhere, it is a nightmare though because I have severe asthma and at the minute a minor chest infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back