• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Umbrella - Goodbye my lovely Little Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My beloved Umbrella has gone .... my house seems empty without my "little man". I can't believe it! :( Far too soon!

I am sure many members will remember Umbrella and his story, but for others that don't ... Summerleaze (Louise from Little Brambles) rescued him from terrible conditions in March 2009 and I fostered him for three months. He was very underweight weighing 750g even though we thought he was about approx 1 year old, having no access to water, proper food or clean bedding before Summerleaze rescued him. He had hair loss and skin complaints. It was uncertain even if he would survive. After a couple of weeks I had, and also my family, had fallen in love with him and couldn't bear to part with him. Summerleaze kindly agreed to us adopting him. He went from strength to strength, enjoying everything about life. His weight went up to 1kg.

Unfortunately Umbrella has been poorly on and off since July after he began to lose weight, very snuffly with watery eyes and wet nose. I trust my vet 110% and she said at the time that she thought his condition would be difficult to treat, probably more than just a chest infection. He was prescribed Baytril. I returned to the vet again in September and then again in November. In November he was also prescribed Metacam to help with inflammation and/or pain. Both Umbrella and wife Parasol have been living indoors with me for many weeks to try to help him even though normally they live in a lovely hutch in a warm shed. I have also been syringe feeding him but I couldn't manage to save him ... he couldn't shake off this illness. His weight dropped to 610g. He had always drank alot of water but lately even that had stopped although I was supplementing this by syringe.

However, I knew by the look in his eyes on Monday afternoon that he was going to pass over Rainbow Bridge. He and I sat cuddling together for nearly two hours while he travelled to the bridge. He passed away snuggled under my chin with me telling him lots of lovely things that he would see and do when he got there ... who he would meet and see again. I promised that he would stay with me forever in my garden.

I know that I gave him a lovely life but it was so hard to let him go plus I know that he tried so hard to stay. After nearly 20 years of owning guinea pigs he has the biggest place in my heart and also my family's heart. He was a legend!

Here are a few photos of Umbrella as a tribute to my little brave soldier.

A tiny, skinny little boy when I fostered him very soon after Summerleaze rescued him from terrible conditions in March 2009 ...

PigsMarch09014.jpg

That appealing little face ....

PigsMarch09011.jpg

Putting on weight ....

April2009004-2.jpg

A good weight and his great personality is emerging ...

April2009165.jpg

Very happy in his new hutch overlooking the garden awaiting his new wife after being neutered ...

Vegastwo019.jpg

I took this photo within five minutes of Umbrella first meeting wife Parasol in August 2009 ... a love made in heaven!

Good night sweetheat ... run free x x>>

guineapigs036.jpg

awwww that made me sob out loud.

I'm so sorry you lost your little man he was truly beautiful.

Rip Umbrella, sweet dreams baby xxxxxx

I remember Umbrella, such a lovely pig. He did really well with your care, and must have been so happy. Very sorry for your loss. x

I'm so very sorry to hear this, I remember Umbrella's story very well xx
Sleep well beautiful boy - you will never be forgotten xx

What a lovely tribute to your handsome Umbrella. I'm very sorry to hear that you have lost him :(

Sleep well Umbrella xx

Hugs to you and Parasol x

A lovely tribute Bev to a truly wonderful little man. Thank you for giving him such a great life and all the love and care a piggy could wish for.

I remember Umbrella so well - he was part of an RSPCA cruelty case along with many other piggies. He was so brave from the word go and put up a tremendous fight to get better for you and your family. He lived a happy life and I will always be very grateful to you for adopting him and loving him. Just very sad that his life was destined only to be a short one.

Rest in Peace little man and know that you were much loved by us all x x

(((huge hugs))) to you and all your family Bev x

My heart sank when I saw this, I remember him well and his story. So sorry he couldn't stay longer. Many precious piggies have left us this week :(

I am so very sorry.
You gave him a fab life and a gorgeous wife, what more could a piggy of wanted.

Have fun at the bridge darling with all your friends and watch over your mummy and wife who love and miss you so very much x

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember reading about him & since then had thought about him and how he was getting on. He had joined the other stars in the sky looking down on us out of pain. I am sorry that you did not have longer with him. RIP umbrella.

Hugs to Parasol & to you.

x

I'm so very sorry for your loss of your special boy.
RIP beautiful Umbrella. Run free x

My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread :( I remember Umbrellas story very well and he was very lucky to have found you.

Sleep peacefully Umbrella, you will be sadly missed x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back