Unsexed cashmire rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So, once again I find myself in the same situation as usual, I shouldn't have been looking through preloved, but alas I was.

Advert : Rabbit, free to good home daughter does not want anymore. I thought, oh cool. I wonder what sex the bun is. Emailed to ask.

reply: Don't know what sex.

That's when I started to worry.

Phone up and asked about the rabbit, bloke said it's one of those jumper rabbits, I said sorry? he said, you know, cashmire ones? I was like..oh...right 0_0

HE said his daughter would have nowt to do with it so it's in a bit of a mess :{

Wish me luck and any tips would be brilliant? xx

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Argh it's things like this that really get to me, if their daughter is dependent on them then that rabbit it their responsibility and not hers! They should at least make sure it's cared for while looking to rehome

x-vic-x

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If it's really bad and nervous, it will need to go to the vets ASAP to be shaved :(.

I have 2 long haired foster bunnies at the moment and they need grooming twice daily. Toby is still quite matted despite being brushed twice a day.

Reaction score
Argh it's things like this that really get to me, if their daughter is dependent on them then that rabbit it their responsibility and not hers! They should at least make sure it's cared for while looking to rehome

Potentially, we may be keeping it. But, it depends how things go, whether it's a he or a she, whether their health is something I have the capacity and knowladge to deal with. I hope it's just that it *looks* bad, and isn't in bad health.

If it's really bad and nervous, it will need to go to the vets ASAP to be shaved :(.

I have 2 long haired foster bunnies at the moment and they need grooming twice daily. Toby is still quite matted despite being brushed twice a day.

Lots of grooming xxc

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww poor baby, i hope he/she is okay and in good health when you pick him/her up, sorry i dont have any tips apart from see a vet to make sure they're isnt any underlying problems and fingers crossed their is none!

x

Reaction score
Awww poor baby, i hope he/she is okay and in good health when you pick him/her up, sorry i dont have any tips apart from see a vet to make sure they're isnt any underlying problems and fingers crossed their is none!

x

That's good advice, if I wasn't already going to do it, I would be glad that you had told me :)

I think it's a he. x

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's good advice, if I wasn't already going to do it, I would be glad that you had told me :)

I think it's a he. x

Awww its the only advice i could think of, we took the boys straight to the vets when we got them from the p@h adoption center they didnt look to good and we were right!

It sounds like he might be in a pickel though, ooo have you got his hutch/ cage ready for when you collect him? Just an idea so he can get settle down straight away, poor wee bern your doing an amazing job getting him out of the home. It awful when the parents dont bother with the pet when its clearly their responsibility. :(

Hope hes okay though!

x

Reaction score
He's here on my lap at the moment. They bought him in a (roughly) one foot by three foot hutch. We're extending it with grids and a roof.

He's butt area is really matted, some of it will have to be cut, his nails are disgraceful. Bless his soul.

But all in all he seems to be 'healthy' not very HAPPY but healthy. Which is something. No flees, no mites, no open wounds, no gunky eyes or runny nose. Eyes are bright, coat that isn't matted is in good condition. Poor love xx

CrawleyGuineaPigRescue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya, if you do get her or him you wont necessarily need to go to the vets to get them to shave the fur off (hope I am not treading on your toes x-vic-x) just that I took a lionhead in who had been left behind when the RSPCA had conviscated all the other bunnies, this one had matts that meant he couldnt lift his head up, along with lynn from palace piggie rescue in crawley we did half an hour in the morning and afternoon for 3 days with scissors first and then used a small beard trimmer, he wasnt stressed, no need for a GA, infact he use to have his veggies while we did it so if you have the time patience and another pair of hands it will save him being taken to the vets, this is from my experience, others may have different ideas etc.

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Hiya Lexy,

It's so hard at times to say no. As he is not aware of the buns sex that says to me its never saw a vet so not done or had it's jags. Rabbits can be carriers of some very dangerous bacteria infections my friend at the moment took in a rabbit, that was due to go to rescue well the rabbit is believed to be a carrier of bortello (forgive my spelling). It infects Guinea pigs, one of her pigs has died, 2 are being treated and the other one has spent 2 days critical at the vet although he's out now and hopefully on the up. I can not stressed how important quarantine is!

As you don't have your own rabbits done it needs kept well away from them also to prevent infection or babies and a vet visit.

I do wonder why when your landlord has stated just the other week you must downsize your animals, why would you add more animals? Surely your landlord won't be impressed. Perhaps take it in temporary and find a rescue that can take it, it may need some serious work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I might be able to manage it myself. It's mostly just, they've kept him on sawdust, and ofcourse with a long hair it's gotten into places I didn't think a rabbit had lol. I should be able to get them out, but I do want to take him tomorrow for a Gen health check and a proper sexing. x

Reaction score
Hiya Lexy,

It's so hard at times to say no. As he is not aware of the buns sex that says to me its never saw a vet so not done or had it's jags. Rabbits can carrier of some serious bacteria my friend at the moment took in a rabbit, that was due to go to rescue well the rabbit is believed to be a carrier of bortello (forgive my spelling). It infects Guinea pigs, one of pigs has died, 2 are being treated and the other one has spent 2 days critical at the vet although he's out now and hopefully on the up. I can not stressed how important quarantine is!

As you don't have your own rabbits done it needs kept well away from them also to prevent infection or babies and a vet visit.

I do wonder why when your landlord has stated just the other week you must downsize yoyr animals, why would you add more animals? Surely your landlord won't be impressed. Perhaps take it in temporary and find a rescue that can take it, it may need some serious work.

All the pigs are in the garage along wiht my bunnies. The landlord said no bunnies in the house but this is temporary untill the bun is fully okay health wise.

joanne, you didn't see the add. It would have worried me for days. My rabbits are done except isobelle who this bun is not going to be housed with.

xx

Reaction score
I think you are amazing x>>

I think you must have confused me with someone else lol Thanks though, it's very kind of you xx

bless him (if it's a him) - hope all goes ok at the vets tomorrow.

Hmmm... I've googled bunny sexing (sounds so wrong in my head pmsl) and,... now i'm doubting my opinion... Hmm... vets tomorrow for sure. x

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Really interesting information about bortadella, Joanne. I had no idea it was so serious.

Its horrific and Its not an understatement, any animals that survive become carriers for a period of time if not a life time!

The rabbit, that came to my friend had no symptons she was purely a carrier. The pig was on antibiotics within 24 hrs of slight conjunctaditis which was the first symptom. He was a young healthy pig, and the disease killed him within 48 hrs. It's awful, my friend is in pieces. All she was trying to do was temporary house a rabbit well it was waiting for foster care and now no animals can go anywere and she can't take anymore in. As her own animals will be carriers for adleast 6 months thats if they survive.

Generally takes up to 12 days for symptoms to appear.

The vet has warned my friend she may lose many more! 8...

Reaction score
183038_1876416476859_1434651159_2097191_946365_s.jpg

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's nice of you to take him/her in but didn't you say you were planning to rehome Poppy because it was hard work? I don't mean to be rude or offend you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.