• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unusual bald patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayceeStar

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My rex sow Skye has two unusual bald patches, one on her back and one on her side.- almost certain it's not mites, as they are very different to the bald patches that I have seen caused by mites. All other pigs are completely fine, they have been thoroughly checked over. She is well in herself, eating and drinking, but I'm just wondering what these patches could mean?
DSC_1471.jpg

DSC_1473.jpg

DSC_1476.jpg

DSC_1480.jpg

Anybody have any idea? Thankyou :)

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It looks like a fungal infection very dry flaky skin (although i'm sure someone with more experience will be able to confirm this).

If it is a fungal infection you can either use Daktarin cream or Daktarin Gold cream (a small amount applied 2-3 times daily) or i found good results with Nizorol shampoo (ive also used Surolan ointment - which was given to me by the vets).

The main thing is to wash your hands thoroughly after dealing with the infected piggie.

Pigmad

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i would also say it looks like a fungal, my boar J.J had exactly the same thing, i used nizarol shampoo, dida (herbal supplement) and dakatrin gel for his mouth (he had been biting at the skin area and got thrush in his mouth)

JayceeStar

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :) I had suspected fungal but never seen a case before so wasn't sure!
I have some GG Manuka and Neem shampoo so would a bath in that help her?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
it will help soothe and leave the coat looking nice but Id get a anti-fungal shamppo as well such as Nizoral

Status
Not open for further replies.