• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

unwell guinea

Status
Not open for further replies.

piglet~

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this,

ive a year old guinea, since yesterday he had pink urine, ive taken him to the vet hes now on enrofloxacin twice a day, but hes still not eating and seems to be asleep all the time. any one had similar thing happen to their guineas?

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello Piglet and welcome to the forum!

I've never had this problem with either of my piggies, sorry i cant be much help i hope someone has some advice soon, hope he/she gets well soon x

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
double post sorry.

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Pink urine can indicate urinary tract infection.

Has your piggy lost his appetite before or after he has been put on antibiotics? Some guinea pigs can react badly to antibiotics. I have looked up enroflaxin, and it is a brand of baytril which is known for adverse reactions.

Please see your vet if your piggy isn't better by tomorrow morning. Make sure that he changes the antibiotic (0.5 ml pediatric spetrin twice daily is the recommended antibiotic for UTIs) and that you are given a probiotic to counter the effects of the antibiotic on the guts.

Until then, you can mush up some pellets in a bit of water and feed him that. It is important that he keeps eating and drinking.

http://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Maud

Reaction score
Hi :) Sorry to hear your piggy isn't well... hope little one is feeling better soon xx

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Piglet.

I second Wiebke's questions - enrofloxacin is Baytril, and I would wonder if his loss of appetite and lethargy is something that was present before he started the Baytril, or if it has only set in since.

If he is refusing to eat anything at all, he needs syringe-feeding, starting now. I can email a factsheet detailing the key points if you are interested, you would have to email me first as I can't PM you for your email address. Mine is guineapighelpline@hotmail.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.