• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Update on Gemma and Willow cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DebbieR

They're both pretty poorly at the moment.

Gemma is back at the vets tonight because she is even more boney and is peeing everywhere (just little spots) and now she's bringing up yuccy brown liquid. I'm thinking kidneys. What do you think? I'm sure she'll be fine eventually (she has to be or my life will end) but any healing thoughts, prayers or anything else you can send woiuld be gratefully received :-\

Poor Willow's abcess (sp?) is still eating away at him. We took him to the vet last Friday and he wanted to treat him with yet more antibiotics. I put my foot down and said that I wanted it investigated. It's been going on since April. Something isn't right. So, he's going in as soon as possible to get that sorted. In the meantime he has a huge scab on his head and it stinks to high heaven. He was supposed to go this week but then Gemma went downhill.

They are such a worry. :-\

Oh Deb i'm sorry, can't offer any practical medical advice but I can send lots of love and thoughts to you and Gemma cat and say i'm only 30 mins down the 406 if you need me for anything. :-*

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can't offer any advice either as I don't really know much about cats, but loads of love and healing vibes coming your way.
x

Thanks guys. You're both very sweet. I feel so much better being able to share these things with you. No-one round here is remotely interested.
It's such a comfort that Bev is only 30 minutes away too. Thank you :-* By the way Bev, I have some time off coming up. What are you doing on the 14th? :)

Aww big hugs. Hope they both get sorted out soon. Brown yucky stuff - it kinda is pointing to the kidneys, but there's loads that can be done.
As for Willow, why on earth haven't the vets done anything more yet? Totally agree with you about putting your foot down.

Thinking of you all and sending healing vibes.

xxxxx

That's a Monday, nothing planned at all :D

kellyandpiggies said:

As for Willow, why on earth haven't the vets done anything more yet? Totally agree with you about putting your foot down.

bev said:
That's a Monday, nothing planned at all :D

Kelly, I suppose the vet thought that it would clear it up but it hasn't so why try the antibiotics again? That's just ridiculous.

Bev, hurrah. Come and see me :) :)

So we took Gemma to the vets last night. The vet is quite concerned about her. She has lost 25% of her body weight and is very dehydrated.
He could feel a mass in her stomach but it's more than likely poo that she can't pass because her pelvic opening is way too small after the road accident. And this is probably the reason for the brown sick.
So there are a few things going on. Have to shift the poo (please god it's just poo). But the weight loss and the constant peeing is something seperate to that.

So she stayed in hospital last night. They have to rehydrate her, do blood tests, take xrays, maybe give her an enema. All this is going to cost at least £500. I'm so glad she's insured. But they won't pay out for the enema because she's already had her limit for that complaint. Well, whatever it costs I don't care she just has to get better.
I'll left you know how she gets on.

awww poor little mite, when your naimals are ill and you are back and forth to the vets, it kinda takes over your life does'nt it? I know when Charlie was ill my mind was on him so much I could'nt eat or relax, fingers crossed all goes well, being smelly does sound like pus or kidneys does'nt it?
I know the smell of pus as soon as I walk in my pigs shed so then its finding out whos got the problem, anyway good luck hops they are well soon how old are they?

I phoned the vet.
Gemma is a bit more comfortable but still quite poorly. The mass in her stomach was hard poo like they first thought (phew). Apparently it took them 1½ hours to break it all down and clear it out. She's had blood tests that were inconclusive. The nurse I spoke to said that the vet will tell us more about the tests. Her pelvic opening is so small that she will always have problems passing motions (well we knew that). She could have an op where they split the pelvis and make the opening wider but that will be very expensive.
Thing is, she's only just 7. She's had this problem for 3 years already. How much longer can this go on?

Is there such a thing as a cat laxative? or like a Fibogel thingy like for humans?

We were giving her something called Peridale which supposedly clumps it together and makes it easier to pass. It was costing £20 a month and she was still having to have 2 or 3 enema's a year. Then we took her to the animal shelter (who aren't there to wring as much cash out of you as poss) and they told us to give her liquid paraffin which will work just as well. At 80p a bottle (which lasts over three months) this was preferable. So far the paraffin has worked just as well if not better than the peridale. The trouble is that we have to get her to take it every day. If she's off her food (which she has been lately) she doesn't get the paraffin and now she's got blocked.

There is also a laxative called katalax which the vet told us was no good for her condition but I can't remember why now.

I'm glad it was what you suspected (ie constipation) rather than anything even more serious. However, I didn't realise Gemma was as poorly with this. I'm so sorry. Poor darling Gemma, it must wear her out x

Awww, poor Gemma and you my lovey, I bet you're worried sick! The liquid parrafin is great! Sometimes have to give it Tatty, but he will not take it in his food, so we syringe it into his mouth. It's really simple and they take it - we just wrap him in a towel so that one of us can hold him and syringe it at the same time. Mike is too mushy for that stuff!

Really hope everything turns out for the best.

Sending you all loads of love and hugs

x

Thanks you guys. I'm so grateful that I have you to share my worries with.

Poor Gemma got hit by a car 2 days before xmas 3 years ago - actually it'll be 4 years this year. Her pelvis was broken so badly that her leg sticks out at an angle and her opening is so small that the vet can't even fit in his little finger. She recovered well but it took a long time and £2,500. Of course, since then she has had this trouble. It breaks my heart to see her straining. Sometimes you can tell that her tummy is really hurting.

I think we're going to stop giving the paraffin in her food now and will give her a squirt every day. She's so good. When we've had to do it before, she just lets us get on with it. She's not happy about it but I'm lightening fast when I'm giving medicine and I'm in and gone before she even realises what's happened ;D I cut the narrow bit off a 2ml syringe which makes it easier to get it into her.

i'll know a lot more when I've spoken to the vet tonight. I'm just thanking all the spirits that look after me that it's just constipation. Money comes and goes but Gemma is one of the most special cats ever (the other one is Willow - no i'm not biased ;D)

My poor lovey. Share away - that's what friends are for! :)

She's a fighter love, always will be.

x

She's certainly special, i've never met a cat that tries to talk to you ;D

Good morning,

Here's the latest.

So we went to get Gemma from hospital on Friday. The mass in her stomach was the hugest blockage of poo (and I suspect the odd mouse) we had ever seen. Her pelvic opening is so tiny she would never have passed that. She was blocked all the way up her intestines. No wonder she was feeling poorly. The vet thinks that the weight loss and constant peeing are all linked to this. I can accept the peeing cos this lump of poo was pressing on her bladder but not the weight loss. Although, saying that, she hasn't stopped eating since she got home.
As for the blood tests. Her ALT and AST are slightly raised apparently - no, I don't know what that is either. Apparently, one is the kidneys and one is the liver. The liver one was the worst so she has to go back tonight for another blood test and to make sure everything is moving along as it should.
She has so many medicine's its ridiculous. 4 different types twice a day. She's going to hate me by the end of this. When the antibiotics run out she might have to be on the other 2 for the rest of her life. Of course, its not yummy medicine so that will be fun. :(
It took them 1½ hours to break down the lump. All night Friday and all day Saturday she was still dripping the foulest smelling poo all over the house. We were on permanent poo patrol armed with mop. sponge and disinfectant. If she wanted to come for a cuddle we had to put a towel on our laps.
She's perked right up now though and sits chatting to us again.
Guess how much all that cost? £476.00! :o

wow thats a big bill but i have had one for just over £200 for the removal of a piggys leg and he died in recovery so know how much they can cost, but we dont mind because we love them to bits and I am preying Gemmas going to be feeling better and staying well for a long time, if not then at least she has got the bestest mummy (you) ever, to get her through all her tests and pills etc, good luck sweetheart hope alls well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back